Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by al...@calbazana.com on 2007/12/07 03:43:50 UTC

So... UDDI?

Hello,

Is anyone out there using a UDDI registry for their services?  I'm
considering   a registry for our loose bundling of web services, but we
only have a handful of services in play.  I am not sure if a registry is
overkill given our setup.

I started looking at UDDI this afternoon when I got fed up with adding
wsdl (and related schema) to my BPEL partner link definitions.  JDeveloper
offers the ability to point to a UDDI registry to "discover" wsdl for
partner links.

Thanks,

Alejandro

Re: So... UDDI?

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Thanks Paul

Any chance we can see a sample deployment.xml?

Thanks again
Martin--
Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Dennis

> [...]

> >     but we
> >     only have a handful of services in play.  I am not sure if a
> >     registry is
> >     overkill given our setup.
> >
> >     I started looking at UDDI this afternoon when I got fed up with
> adding
> >     wsdl (and related schema) to my BPEL partner link definitions.
> >      JDeveloper
> >     offers the ability to point to a UDDI registry to "discover" wsdl
> for
> >     partner links.
> >
> >     Thanks,
> >
> >     Alejandro

> >     <ma...@ws.apache.org>
> >     For additional commands, e-mail: axis-user-help@ws.apache.org
> >     <ma...@ws.apache.org>
> >

> > --
> > Paul Fremantle
> > Co-Founder and VP of Technical Sales, WSO2

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: So... UDDI?

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com>.
Dennis,

I agree that the original design concept for UDDI -- a single global
registry of services that would enable dynamic discovery of business
partners -- was just a bit far fetched. In fact, the idea of using
UDDI as the primary means of service discovery within an organization
is a bit far fetched. But UDDI does play a very important role in a
SOA runtime infrastructure, which is an ecosystem of cooperating
products (service platforms, mediation systems, and management
systems) that need a way to exchange information about services. UDDI
is not perfect, and I'd like to see someone propose additional APIs to
augment SOAP, but it does provide a standard system of record for the
environment and a standard means to retrieve information about
service.

As I said, UDDI makes an incredibly poor repository to support
development time discovery and governance. It simply doesn't contain
enough information about services and service artifacts, and the data
model organization is just wrong to support development activities. (I
will note, though, that all IDEs have a built-in UDDI browsing
capability.) I recommend using a repository to support development
time activities, and maintain the registry to support the runtime
system of record capability.

Note that the leading registry/repository vendors (HP/Systinet,
Software AG/Infravio, BEA, and IBM) have either extended UDDI with
repository features (Software AG) or they offer a separate repository
that synchronizes with the UDDI registry (the others).

The HP/Systinet repository sounds somewhat similar to Paul's project.
It is an entirely REST-based repository. I find it interesting that
Systinet found it necessary to define a Java API to abstract the REST
API to make it more palatable to the average enterprise developer.
(Paul -- I suggest you confer with Radovan on your API.)

Anne

Re: So... UDDI?

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.
Hi Paul,

RE: So... UDDI?

Posted by "Johnson, David E" <da...@intel.com>.
Have you thought of Open SCA and managing application control that way?

David E.A. Johnson

Director, Digital Security Products

Intel Corporation

SSG-ESSD

1815 S. Meyers Rd., Suite 150

Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois  60441

770-433-3272 direct

404-769-7207 mobile

________________________________

Re: So... UDDI?

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
You might want to look at the project being built here - its about using
lightweight REST models to build a registry instead of UDDI.

http://pzf.fremantle.org/2007/12/new-kind-of-soa-registry.html

Paul

On Dec 7, 2007 2:43 AM, <al...@calbazana.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is anyone out there using a UDDI registry for their services?  I'm
> considering   a registry for our loose bundling of web services, but we
> only have a handful of services in play.  I am not sure if a registry is
> overkill given our setup.
>
> I started looking at UDDI this afternoon when I got fed up with adding
> wsdl (and related schema) to my BPEL partner link definitions.  JDeveloper
> offers the ability to point to a UDDI registry to "discover" wsdl for
> partner links.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alejandro

Paul Fremantle