Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by ant elder <an...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/12 22:11:37 UTC

Rename binding-ws-runtime-axis2 to binding-ws-runtime

I'd like to rename the binding-ws-runtime-axis2 module to
binding-ws-runtime so that it matches the naming used by the other
extension which makes it more obvious for users. And also to move the
other binding-ws-runtime-* modules to contrib as they've fallen behind
and no one seem to be working on them.

I'll do this in a couple of days unless anyone has an good reason not to.

   ...ant

Re: Rename binding-ws-runtime-axis2 to binding-ws-runtime

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 3:14 AM, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I don't mind about the rename but I'm against moving the alternatives
> out of trunk just yet as I haven't completely given up on them even
> though I haven't touched them for a good while.
>
> Simon

Same here, please don't move the binding out of trunk as there are
users using it.

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende

Re: Rename binding-ws-runtime-axis2 to binding-ws-runtime

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.
On 13/07/2011 22:48, ant elder wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 1:27 PM, Mike Edwards
> <mi...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 12/07/2011 21:44, Raymond Feng wrote:
>>>
>>> Don't we prefer to use a JAX-WS based implementation as the default
>>> binding-ws-runtime?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Raymond
>>> /________________________________________________________________
>>
>> Folks,
>>
>> No problem with the renaming - but as for preferring the JAX-WS impl, I
>> don't agree with that - the Axis binding implementation is the "complete"
>> one at the moment - and is very much the route for the various policy
>> options including security and reliable messaging.
>>
>> Why would a JAX-WS implementation be a better way to go?
>>

> The main advantage of it is that its included in Java SE so there are
> no other external dependencies which makes it very easy to use.
>
> But I agree the Axis2 one is much more complete and seems a better
> choice. There are quite a lot of issues with the JAXWS RI based one,
> i'd be surprised if anyone is using it for more than simple helloworld
> demo type things.
>
>     ...ant

Ant,

I think you agreeing with me here.

The Java SE JAXWS implementation is a noddy one - it is a bare bones implementation (& I strongly
urged Sun originally not to include it in the JDK for just this reason).

We can't use it very seriously unless we start writing our own handlers for the various SOAP headers
that are implied when doing anything beyond the basics - e.g. any form of Security.

Yours,  Mike.

Re: Rename binding-ws-runtime-axis2 to binding-ws-runtime

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.