Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by pr...@vdsinc.com on 2004/01/02 13:25:16 UTC

Renaming DefinitionsFactory or DefinitionsFactory?

Hi all, I was recently poking around in the source and API docs for
some of the Tiles classes, and noticed there is an interface
org.apache.struts.tiles.DefinitionsFactory, and a concrete class
org.apache.struts.tiles.xmlDefinition.DefinitionsFactory.  Now, this
isn't a problem in any objective sense, and granted, they
are in different packages...

But, to a developer new to the Tiles source, it makes things just a tad
bit confusing.  Actually, a lot of the naming conventions in Tiles
are confusing to me, and maybe I'll throw some other suggestions
out later.. but for now, I wonder if there's any possibility of  renaming
one of the DefinitionsFactory types?

I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough with the code (yet) to have a full
understanding of what all the ramifications of this would be, and maybe
it's a dumb idea... but I thought I'd mention it and see what the
experienced Struts / Tiles folks had to say.

Thanks,

Phillip Rhodes
Application Designer
Voice Data Solutions
919-571-4300 x225
prhodes@vdsinc.com

Those who are willing to sacrifice essential liberties for a little order,
will
lose both and deserve neither. - Benjamin Franklin

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it.

Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can
exercise
their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary
right to overthrow it.  - Abraham Lincoln

No citizen shall be denied the right to bear arms, if as a last resort, to
protect themselves from tyranny in Government. - Thomas Jefferson

Re: Renaming DefinitionsFactory or DefinitionsFactory?

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
We probably wouldn't be able to rename it per se. We'd have to deprecate one class and bring another up using the new name. (The one we deprecating being a shell that calls the new one.) Tyranny of the installed base, and all that :)

A lot of the naming in the Tiles package is inconsistence and does need to be addressed. One reason for this was that Tiles had a name change late in the cycle, so sometimes the older name is used.

What would be helpful would be a proposal that presented an new API with al the changes, as well as what bridge classes would be needed to get there from here.

-Ted.