Posted to dev@isis.apache.org by Dan Haywood <dk...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/26 00:48:34 UTC

[DISCUSS] v0.1 - what's gonna go into it?

All,
We need to decide what we want to release for v0.1, and get some
commitments and outline plan in place for a release.

To get the ball rolling... my personal view is that we should be
releasing what's "stable", and drop things that may still be in flux.
When I say "stable", I mean that it should at least be coherent to
someone who might come across Isis v0.1 and wonder what it's all about.
I don't necessarily mean that it is feature complete.  But I do mean
that it should have some DocBook documentation, even if that
documentation is not extensive.  At the moment, most of that DocBook
stuff is stubbed out (though there's lots of stuff in contrib/initial
that can be reused).

The following is a list of the components, with my suggestion as to the
"owner" with respect to v0.1 (meaning that this person would be
responsible for making sure that the docs etc are in place).  I've also
indicated whether I think the component should be releasable, should not
be released, or I don't know its status:

- applib:
   - owner: Dan
   - release: Yes
- core:
   - owner: ??? Rob - would you pick up ???
   - release: Yes
- defaults
   - owner: Dan
   - release: Yes (need to confirm on defaults/security)
- alternatives/
   - bytecode:
     - owner: Dan
     - release: Yes
   - embedded
     - owner: Dan
     - release: Yes
   - objectstore/
     - nosql
       - owner: Rob
       - release: ???
     - sql
       - owner: Kevin/Rob
       - release: ???
     - xml
       - owner: Rob
       - release: Yes
     - jpa:
       - owner: Dan
       - release: No (not migrated from contrib/initial, and won't be
released in v0.1)
   - profilestore/
     - xml:
       - owner: Rob
       - release: Yes
   - progmodel/
     - groovy:
       - owner: Dan
       - release: Yes
     - wrapper:
       - owner: Dan
       - release: Yes
     - remoting:
       - owner: Rob ???
       - release: ???  (my preference would be to drop it for v0.1,
pending more testing)
-  viewer/
     - bdd:
       - owner: Dan
       - release: Yes
     - dnd:
       - owner: Rob
       - release: Yes
     - html:
       - owner: Rob
       - release: Yes
     - junit:
       - owner: Dan
       - release: Yes
     - restful:
       - owner: Dan
       - release:Yes
     - scimpi:
       - owner:
       - release: ??? Rob ???
     - wicket:
       - owner: Dan
       - release:Yes

Other stuff:

- support
   - prototype:
     - owner: ???
     - release: Yes (more work required)
- screencasts
   - owner: Dave
   - release: Yes (in progress)
- image heatmap on index.apt
   - owner: Alexander
   - release: Yes (in progress)
- "the release process" [1]
   - owner: ???

Please chip in, amend as necessary, take ownership of modules if you
feel you'd like to.

Once we know what we want to release, then we can think about setting
some dates to get it ready for release.  Even before then, there is some
additional work in terms of someone getting up to speed with the Apache
release process (see [1]).

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ISIS/ReleaseProcess

Thanks,
Dan

Re: [DISCUSS] v0.1 - what's gonna go into it?

Posted by Mike Burton <mi...@mycosystems.co.uk>.
Hi Dan,

Scimpi is in the area I'm interested, so I can do something there.
Or "help someone else to" for now as I'm new to the Apache process etc, as you think best.

Best regards

Mike Burton

Posted by Sabine Winkler <sw...@sabinewinkler.com>.
Hey Mohammad, hey @all

Mohammad, you are right - I am interested in the "support". but as I am
new to the project it might be a better opportunity to help you and
probably Dan with the bdd stuff.

Thanks,
Sabine

Re: [DISCUSS] v0.1 - what's gonna go into it?

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hey Dan

   Please see my comments about components ownership below

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 1:48 AM, Dan Haywood <dk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>      - release: ???
>    - xml
>      - owner: Rob
>      - release: Yes
>    - jpa:
>      - owner: Dan
>      - release: No (not migrated from contrib/initial, and won't be released
> in v0.1)
>  - profilestore/
>    - xml:
>      - owner: Rob
>      - release: Yes
>  - progmodel/
>    - groovy:
>      - owner: Dan
>      - release: Yes
>    - wrapper:
>      - owner: Dan
>      - release: Yes
>    - remoting:
>      - owner: Rob ???
>      - release: ???  (my preference would be to drop it for v0.1, pending

I want to own Support->Prototype (NOTE: Sabine may have shown some
interest in this as well - Sabine is that right ?)
>    - release: Yes (more work required)
> - screencasts
>  - owner: Dave
>  - release: Yes (in progress)
> - image heatmap on index.apt
>  - owner: Alexander
>  - release: Yes (in progress)
> - "the release process" [1]
>  - owner: ???
I want to own the "Release Process" thing.

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

than your best."