Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org> on 2012/03/05 20:39:00 UTC

Re: Java6 End of Life, upgrading to 7

On 2/28/2012 8:16 AM, Shawn Heisey wrote:
> Due to the End of Life announcement for Java6, I am going to need to
> upgrade to Java 7 in the very near future.  I'm running Solr 3.5.0
> modified with a couple of JIRA patches.
>
> https://blogs.oracle.com/henrik/entry/updated_java_6_eol_date
>
> I saw the announcement that Java 7u1 had fixed all the known bugs
> relating to Solr.  Is there anything I need to be aware of when
> upgrading?  These are the commandline switches I am using that apply
> to Java itself:
>
> -Xms8192M
> -Xmx8192M
> -XX:NewSize=6144M
> -XX:SurvivorRatio=4
> -XX:+UseParNewGC
> -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC
> -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled

Does anyone have any information on upgrading to Java7 with Solr?  Any
gotchas, recommendations, or should I just go for it without changing
anything?  Java6 goes EOL in November, after which public (free) support
and bugfixes go away.  By then running Solr with Java 7 will be
important to the entire community, not just me.

Thanks,
Shawn