Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Travis Stevens <Tr...@noaa.gov> on 2005/01/21 22:23:56 UTC

Bug, context not reloading on startup.

Hello, I hope everyone is doing well.

I am experiencing two problems with Tomcat and I think they both stem
from the same issue.

I have been deploying an application using the tomcat manager by
specifying a Contact Path, XML Configuration file URL and a Directory
URL.  Because I am specifying the directory URL, I do not add a docBase
attribute to the Context element in the configuration file.

When I initially deploy the webapp, it works great.  Problems arise when
I restart tomcat.  The first debug statement that catches my eye is:

INFO: Processing Context configuration file URL
file:/home/tns/bin/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28/conf/Catalina/localhost/nmmr.xml

The above is the XML Configuration file that I specified in the tomcat
manager.  It does not specify a docBase.  The next debug statement
states the the context cannot start:

SEVERE: Error starting static Resources
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Document base
/home/tns/bin/tomcat/webapps/nmmr does not exist or is not a readable
directory

The document base specified in the log files is NOT the Directory URL I
specified in the Tomcat Manager.

If I do not specify an XML Configuration file, one is created that looks
like so:
SEVERE: Error starting static Resources
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Document base
/home/tns/bin/tomcat/webapps/nmmr does not exist or is not a readable
directory

All in all, it seems that tomcat should add the docBase attribute to its
local copy of the Configuration file if the directory is specified
external to the configuration file.

-Trav