Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Mark Van Crombrugge <ma...@vliz.be> on 2006/04/25 10:26:32 UTC

[users@httpd] French characters display as Chinese

I am hosting a few websites on my server for people learning to develop
websites: the ones in English are fine but the ones in French display the
French accentuated characters as Chinese...
The HTTP document contains <meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"> in the header.
When I select "View - Encoding - Western European" instead of the default
"UTF-8" in Internet Explorer the characters are correct.

Someone has mentioned that I need to adapt the configuration of Apache: does
anyone have an idea what I need to add/change?

Thanks!
Mark

Re: [users@httpd] French characters display as Chinese

Posted by "Anthony G. Atkielski" <an...@atkielski.com>.
Mark Van Crombrugge writes:

> I am hosting a few websites on my server for people learning to develop
> websites: the ones in English are fine but the ones in French display the
> French accentuated characters as Chinese...
> The HTTP document contains <meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
> content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"> in the header.
> When I select "View - Encoding - Western European" instead of the default
> "UTF-8" in Internet Explorer the characters are correct.
>
> Someone has mentioned that I need to adapt the configuration of Apache: does
> anyone have an idea what I need to add/change?

All characters above the first 127 should be encoded as HTML entities
if you want to be absolutely sure that they always display correctly.

--
Anthony

Re: [users@httpd] French characters display as Chinese

Posted by Krist van Besien <kr...@gmail.com>.
On 4/25/06, Mark Van Crombrugge <ma...@vliz.be> wrote:

> I am hosting a few websites on my server for people learning to develop
> websites: the ones in English are fine but the ones in French display the
> French accentuated characters as Chinese...
> The HTTP document contains <meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
> content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"> in the header.
> When I select "View - Encoding - Western European" instead of the default
> "UTF-8" in Internet Explorer the characters are correct.
>
> Someone has mentioned that I need to adapt the configuration of Apache: does
> anyone have an idea what I need to add/change?

You probably need to add

AddDefaultCharSet off

to your config.

See: