Posted to dev@devicemap.apache.org by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com> on 2016/09/10 13:40:35 UTC

Re: Can we make a "data" folder like the "eclipse" one at Sling?

Bertrand/Radu,

Created a new thread because Sling is "closer to home" for both of you.

Based an an already existing release there's
http://apache.org/dist/devicemap/data/1.0.3/
an expansion of the *signed release archive*
http://apache.org/dist/devicemap/devicemap-data-1.0.3.jar

Just like
http://apache.org/dist/sling/eclipse/1.1.0/

is the expansion of a *signed release archive*
-http://apache.org/dist/sling/org.apache.sling.ide.p2update-1.1.0.zip

Each folder is an exact extraction, no modification or files removed.
All snapshot clients/consoles work against
http://apache.org/dist/devicemap/data/1.0.3/devicedata/ instead of the VM
already.

If nobody has a problem with this (more resiliant, also after DeviceMap may
be archived;-) approach similar to Sling's P2 repo, I'd be happy to release
at least data 1.0.4 and Java Client 1.2.0 based on the latest snapshots of
each.

It seems you cannot approve the .NET clients any more, so people will have
to build them from source or adjut the XML file (guess an updated README in
each project could help them)

I would not mind releasing the W3C DDR client (and examples) with the
manual steps involved if we can.

Werner

Re: Can we make a "data" folder like the "eclipse" one at Sling?

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Bertrand,

Thanks for the feedback. Glad it should work that way.
I doubt it has a massive traffic, given e.g. the VM was sometimes down for
a week or two and with it the data without massive complaints;-) While the
VM is still up I could try check the logs to find out how often data files
are accessed, but "viral access" or participation was never really
DeviceMap's problem ;-|

I'm at JavaOne, so busy for the next 10 days or so. If this setup for 1.0.3
looks acceptable I plan a 1.0.4 data release after that and all clients
that I can deploy using Maven and you're able to review (you said .NET was
a problem, so maybe we'll just update the README to mention new connection
strings)

Thanks,
Werner

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 07:44:15 GMT, Bertrand wrote:

Hi,

On Sat, Sep 10, 2016 at 3:40 PM, Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...Based an an already existing release there's
> http://apache.org/dist/devicemap/data/1.0.3/
> an expansion of the *signed release archive*
> http://apache.org/dist/devicemap/devicemap-data-1.0.3.jar ...

ok that's fine.

> ...All snapshot clients/consoles work against
> http://apache.org/dist/devicemap/data/1.0.3/devicedata/ instead of the VM
> already...

If you mean by that that many clients will potentially hit that URL
then that's not ok, http://apache.org/dist is not mean to be used as
something that many clients might hit repeatedly.

-Bertrand

Re: Can we make a "data" folder like the "eclipse" one at Sling?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,