Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Bob Morley <rm...@emforium.com> on 2010/04/19 18:37:10 UTC

Copying WorkEffortCostCalc as part of a ProductionRun

When you create a new production run for a particular product, a clone of the
routing template work effort tree is created for the new production run.  In
doing this any WorkEffortPartyAssignment entities are also copied along with
the BillOfMaterials information (into WorkEffortGoodStandard).

My question is why do we not also clone the WorkEffortCostCalc.  If we were
to do this, tasks that were created via the routing template OR manually
created could be handled consistently.  We would also have the ability to
update the WorkEffortCostCalc for that specific ProductionRun.  I assume
this latter point is the reason why we are copying WorkEffortPartyAssignment
so that different people can be assigned the task without affecting the
routing template itself.

What I would like to do is start cloning these records for the new
ProductionRun and then change createProductionRunTaskCosts so that it will
simply use the WorkEffortCostCalc entities associated with the specific task
(rather than potentially using the associated routing task).

Very interested in hearing from anyone with practical experience with
ProductionRuns to see if I am missing something (or any developers that
worked in this area).

Re: Copying WorkEffortCostCalc as part of a ProductionRun

Posted by Bob Morley <rm...@emforium.com>.
I have created a ticket and applied a patch
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-3724.

There are some comments there about two things that we probably should
discuss a little bit before committing this change.  Will leave the
conversation to flow under that ticket.

Re: Copying WorkEffortCostCalc as part of a ProductionRun

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Yes, I think it is a good idea. Thanks for working at this.

Jacopo

Posted by Bob Morley <rm...@emforium.com>.

BJ Freeman wrote:

> some thoughts
> if you provide a way to change a process you must make sure it can not
> be changed once it is used for Resource planning without feeding back
> the change to the Resource planning component.
>
> cloning from a template or cloning to create a template is acceptable.
> Cloning of data that is in two places creates a sync situation.
> This trickles down to the BI component.

Yep this is a real good point; we need to avoid data redundancy at all times
in the operational database.  I must confess that I am not very familiar
with the resource planning in Ofbiz at all.

What I have now in our project is a routing template that you can only
assign specific resources to it the form of WorkEffortPartyAssignment.
These relations (between WorkEffort and Party) were always cloned from the
routing template (I made no change there).  The implication is that the
WorkEffort's resource could change during some parts of the ProductionRun
lifecycle.  In my mind this was during the "non-finished" states -- Created,
Documents Printed, Running -- but not during Completed, Closed, Cancelled.

How does the Ofbiz resource planning component fit in here?  What I have now
puts the onus on either the template task creator to assign the specific
resources up front or on the user that is creating the Production Run (or
printing docs / starting) to assign specific resources to the tasks before
things get rolling.

Re: Copying WorkEffortCostCalc as part of a ProductionRun

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
Resource planning is usually against requirements. These can be
realistic like sales orders, or what if's projection.

ofbiz(trunk svn) at this point is limited to sales orders requirements
if you look at the applications\manufacturing\data\ManufacturingData.xml
it will give you and Idea of the MrpEventType.
with project manager, it would provided some "what-if scenarios" as well
as well as give an overview of actual requirements and  the progress of
a requirement. I am looking at what it will take for this integration now.
Based on that if the WorkEffortCostCalc or any manufacturing processes
are modifies after the project manager has shown a result, a task
message should be generated be generate to view the project manager
results again, noting what was changed.

BJ Freeman
http://bjfreeman.elance.com
Strategic Power Office with Supplier Automation <http://www.businessesnetwork.com/automation/viewforum.php?f=93>
Specialtymarket.com <http://www.specialtymarket.com/>

Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man
Linkedin

Bob Morley sent the following on 4/19/2010 9:39 PM: