Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by christos <ch...@gridgain.com> on 2017/04/07 13:06:41 UTC

Apache Ignite vs. Apache Flink - a worthy comparison?

Igniters,

I'm looking at a use case where I've been challenged to position Ignite vs.
Flink. I know at a high-level these technologies target different use cases
and can actually compliment each other it's still possible to have
overlapping functionality.

Anyone care to share their views on how perhaps Ignite competes against
Flink?

Thanks!

Re: Apache Ignite vs. Apache Flink - a worthy comparison?

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Chris,

In general you’re right - Ignite and Flink are not competitors because the former is a data fabric (a set of components built on top of clustering and data grid capabilities of Ignite) while the latter is a framework for streaming and CEP.

The only point of contention is Ignite’s streaming grid that is tightly integrated with the overall platform. But in any case it doesn’t make Ignite and Link direct rivals.

So, if someone needs more than streaming capabilities he should look into Ignite. If the streaming is more than enough then Flink, Kafka, RabbitMQ are options as well.

—
Denis

Posted by "michael.griggs" <mi...@gridgain.com>.
christos wrote
> Igniters,
>
> I'm looking at a use case where I've been challenged to position Ignite
> vs. Flink. I know at a high-level these technologies target different use
> cases and can actually compliment each other it's still possible to have
> overlapping functionality.
>
> Anyone care to share their views on how perhaps Ignite competes against
> Flink?
>
> Thanks!

A discussion I had with an old colleague centered around Flink's "Exactly
Once" semantics for stream-processing.  Ignite doesn't offer this guarantee
'out-of-the-box', although it can be achieved per this thread:
http://apache-ignite-users.70518.x6.nabble.com/Can-compute-grid-guarantee-the-correctness-of-the-result-td4992.html