Posted to dev@edgent.apache.org by Dan Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com> on 2016/10/20 18:07:11 UTC

FYI - Android working

FYI - I just built the release target and suffered though getting a
simple Edgent application working on Android.

While the process isn't easy, the Edgent android jars are working on
Android, so thanks to Dale et al who worked on getting them through the
gradle build process.

Dan.

Re: FYI - Android working

Posted by Dan Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.
On 10/26/2016 8:12 AM, Dan Debrunner wrote:
> On 10/20/2016 12:57 PM, Dale LaBossiere wrote:
>
>> a) can you document the process?
>
> Yes, I'll find time to write it up. For my app I did have to make a
> change to add another jar into the Android set. It would be nice if that
> could be included in the release. I'll see if I can get a pull request
> by the end of the week.

Just as a reference I found my old instructions:

https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@quarks.incubator.apache.org/msg01224.html

Dan.

Re: FYI - Android working

Posted by Dale LaBossiere <dm...@gmail.com>.
That’s good news!  sans the suffering part :-)

a) can you document the process?
b) where should that documentation go?  E.g., edgent_overview.html (which is incorporated into the javadoc index.html) has a Building Applications section.  It doesn’t currently seem to say anything about java8 vs 7 vs android.  Maybe it should refer the reader to another location?

Related, in the “release management guide” that I’m working on, there’s a section of validating the release and I’ve already got a “???” placeholder related to the android platform :-)

— Dale