Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Steve Lake <st...@raiden.net> on 2006/11/17 06:03:49 UTC

FuzzyOCR question

         I'm brainstorming here tonight and I'm curious of something.  When
you're using FuzzyOCR, is it called for every message that goes through SA,
or just ones with gif attachments?

Steven Lake
Owner/Technical Writer
Raiden's Realm
www.raiden.net
A friendly web community

Re: FuzzyOCR question

Posted by decoder <de...@own-hero.net>.
Steve Lake wrote:
>         I'm brainstorming here tonight and I'm curious of something.
> When you're using FuzzyOCR, is it called for every message that goes
> through SA, or just ones with gif attachments?
It is called for all messages. Every plugin is. The question is, does it
do anything (i.e. take resources), and if so, what does it do.

If the message does not contain images, then nothing happens.

If the message already has enough points (more points than specified in
the FuzzyOcr.cf as autodisable value), then nothing happens either (why
waste resources if other rules striked enough earlier)

If none of the above cases met, then the image is processed, a hash is
calculated (if you have enabled the hashing db), and the hash is
searched in the database, if it is known, it is scored directly and no
OCR action takes place.

If even the hash is unknown, then OCR tools are used on the image
according to the defined config.

Best regards,

Chris

RE: FuzzyOCR question

Posted by Giampaolo Tomassoni <g....@libero.it>.
>          I'm brainstorming here tonight and I'm curious of
> something.  When
> you're using FuzzyOCR, is it called for every message that goes
> through SA,
> or just ones with gif attachments?

FuzzyOcr is invoked on every image on a message whenever the message itself doesn't reach a score threshold by other means.

Ie: if a spam is detected as such before running FuzzyOcr, the latter is not invoked.

Giampaolo Tomassoni - IT Consultant
Piazza VIII Aprile 1948, 4
I-53044 Chiusi (SI) - Italy
Ph: +39-0578-21100