Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dan McCullough <Mc...@rocketmail.com> on 2003/09/17 02:20:56 UTC

newbie

I cant seem to get started.  After tackling some hardware issues I have all the pieces installed
and everything setup according to several HOW-TOs.  I have mod_jk configured and install, apache
configured and installed, tomcat was a binary so that is setup and j2sdk 1.4.2 is setup.

I start tomcat and everything is fine.  or so I think.
service tomcatd start
Starting Tomcat: Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/local/tomcat
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/local/tomcat
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/local/tomcat/temp
Using JAVA_HOME:       /usr/local/java/java

wait about 20 seconds and start apache everything is okay.

I then stop tomcat and get this
service tomcatd stop
Shutting down Tomcat: Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/local/tomcat
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/local/tomcat
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/local/tomcat/temp
Using JAVA_HOME:       /usr/local/java/java
java.lang.NullPointerException

what the heck is going on, I start tomcat again, and there is no process running.  catalina.out
just has Error occurred during initialization of VM java.lang.NullPointerException in it.

help I'm lost .. I did everything according to the "book"

=====