Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch> on 2005/03/14 11:05:40 UTC

[VOTE] Move all hyphenation patterns to offo.sourceforge.net

I'd like to propose moving all of the remaining hyphenation patterns to
http://offo.sourceforge.net. Various reasons:
- One-stop shop for all FOP hyphenation patterns
- Most patterns are completely unproblematic from a license perspective
but not from a Apache license policy perspective.
- There are still items on the todo list for making some of the
remaining patterns fully compliant with Apache license policy and I'm
tired of running behind them. See [1]
- We only have a somewhat special set of patterns remaining here (at
least from my POV)

Of course, that means we don't provide hyphenation out-of-the-box
anymore but if offo can provide a recompiled JAR that would make things
a lot easier of our users. The only problem with this, however, is that
they are likely not going to check the licenses for each and every
pattern for compatibility with the system they are using them with.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/FOPAudits/March2003

Jeremias Maerki

Re: [VOTE] Move all hyphenation patterns to offo.sourceforge.net

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
The Web Maestro wrote:

> On Mar 14, 2005, at 2:05 AM, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>
>> I'd like to propose moving all of the remaining hyphenation patterns to
>> http://offo.sourceforge.net. Various reasons:
>

> +1

+1 from me too.

Chris

Re: [VOTE] Move all hyphenation patterns to offo.sourceforge.net

Posted by The Web Maestro <th...@gmail.com>.
On Mar 14, 2005, at 2:05 AM, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> I'd like to propose moving all of the remaining hyphenation patterns to
> http://offo.sourceforge.net. Various reasons:

+1

Web Maestro Clay
--
<th...@gmail.com> - <http://homepage.mac.com/webmaestro/>
- HH The 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet

Re: [VOTE] Move all hyphenation patterns to offo.sourceforge.net

Posted by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.nl>.
On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 04:12:05PM -0700, Victor Mote wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> I think FOray wants to take a different approach to the hyphenation pattern
> licensing problem. Specifically, I think we still need such patterns under
> an Apache-style license, and would like for FOray (or someone else) to keep
> hosting the ones that are already conformant to that license, and host a
> place to build the ones that aren't. I know a bunch were purged approx. 18
> months ago that were deemed non-conformant, but I was under the impression
> that the remaining ones were thought to be conformant, specifically:
>
> en English
> es Spanish
> fi Finnish
> hu Hungarian (?)
> it Italian
> pl Polish
> pt Portuguese
> ru Russian

My list of patterns that were in the FOP CVS until recently is:

da.xml en_GB.xml es.xml fi.xml hu.xml it.xml pl.xml pt.xml ru.xml

Regards, Simon

--
Simon Pepping
home page: http://www.leverkruid.nl

Re: [VOTE] Move all hyphenation patterns to offo.sourceforge.net

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
Simon,

thank you very much for looking into this and for writing down what you
found out. That will be helpful to someone who wants to give it another
shot again later. Thanks also to Andreas and Clay.

Posted by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.nl>.
On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 11:57:20AM -0700, Victor Mote wrote:
> OK. Thanks. I think we'll leave the existing patterns intact until we learn
> of problems, but start building new ones that have a more clear heritage.
> The only way I see to do this right is to start word lists, let users
> contribute to them (in small quantities at a time), and build the
> hyphenation patterns ourselves. Joerg, do you still have the Java patgen
> port mentioned here?:
> http://mail-archives.eu.apache.org/mod_mbox/xmlgraphics-fop-users/200406.mbo
> x/%3C40D0B87E.9030206@yahoo.de%3E
> And do you have any interest in contributing it? I did not find it here:
> http://people.apache.org/~pietsch/
>
> The other issue is where this stuff should be hosted. IMO it is bigger than
> FOray. If it fits with OFFO, that is fine, but I am under the impression
> that it probably doesn't because OFFO is, by definition, using the "other"
> licenses. It fits into aXSL's mission reasonably well, and, unless someone
> has a better idea, I'll set up something there to get this jump-started.

The OFFO project is open to contributions with any Open Source
license, the Apache License included. New hyphenation patterns are
welcome.

It is another matter that I am not volunteering to lead an effort like
you propose. If you want to deploy such a project on the OFFO site, I
am sure that it can fit in, but you should be the one to get and keep
it going.

Regards, Simon

Posted by Victor Mote <vi...@outfitr.com>.
Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> If you look at my initial post for the vote you'll see my
> main reasons for getting this started. If we want to be clean

I had.

> about following ASF policy then we would have had to invest
> more time sorting out the problems. I think the patterns that
> remained until the end were not tainted as such. They are
> merely derived works from other people from which we would
> need grants to be on the safe side as far as ASF licensing
> policy is concerned. So in this light it was a blanket
> decision to get out of the hyphenation pattern business. If
> someone starts creating hypenation patterns under a BSD or
> Apache license that would be great, of course.

OK. Thanks. I think we'll leave the existing patterns intact until we learn
of problems, but start building new ones that have a more clear heritage.
The only way I see to do this right is to start word lists, let users
contribute to them (in small quantities at a time), and build the
hyphenation patterns ourselves. Joerg, do you still have the Java patgen
port mentioned here?:
http://mail-archives.eu.apache.org/mod_mbox/xmlgraphics-fop-users/200406.mbo
x/%3C40D0B87E.9030206@yahoo.de%3E
And do you have any interest in contributing it? I did not find it here:
http://people.apache.org/~pietsch/

The other issue is where this stuff should be hosted. IMO it is bigger than
FOray. If it fits with OFFO, that is fine, but I am under the impression
that it probably doesn't because OFFO is, by definition, using the "other"
licenses. It fits into aXSL's mission reasonably well, and, unless someone
has a better idea, I'll set up something there to get this jump-started.

Victor Mote

Re: [VOTE] Move all hyphenation patterns to offo.sourceforge.net

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
If you look at my initial post for the vote you'll see my main reasons
for getting this started. If we want to be clean about following ASF
policy then we would have had to invest more time sorting out the
problems. I think the patterns that remained until the end were not
tainted as such. They are merely derived works from other people from
which we would need grants to be on the safe side as far as ASF
licensing policy is concerned. So in this light it was a blanket
decision to get out of the hyphenation pattern business. If someone
starts creating hypenation patterns under a BSD or Apache license that
would be great, of course.

For reference:

Posted by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.nl>.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
On 14.03.2005 20:43:15 Simon Pepping wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 11:05:40AM +0100, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> > I'd like to propose moving all of the remaining hyphenation patterns to
> > http://offo.sourceforge.net. Various reasons:
> > - One-stop shop for all FOP hyphenation patterns
> > - Most patterns are completely unproblematic from a license perspective
> > but not from a Apache license policy perspective.
> > - There are still items on the todo list for making some of the
> > remaining patterns fully compliant with Apache license policy and I'm
> > tired of running behind them. See [1]
> > - We only have a somewhat special set of patterns remaining here (at
> > least from my POV)
>
> +1
>
> > Of course, that means we don't provide hyphenation out-of-the-box
> > anymore but if offo can provide a recompiled JAR that would make things
> > a lot easier of our users. The only problem with this, however, is that
> > they are likely not going to check the licenses for each and every
> > pattern for compatibility with the system they are using them with.
>
> The licenses are on the OFFO home page and in the package. That is all
> we can and need to do.
>
> I am not sure how the compilation is supposed to be done. It is a data
> dump of a HyphenationTree object. If one makes a small change to that
> class, the compiled objects are invalidated. Of course, that is not
> relevant for a released distribution. So one should make a compilation
> per released distribution?

That's what I imagine, yes. Or we compile the patterns on the fly, if
necessery with a persistent cache. That would be very user-friendly.

> I have quickly checked PatternParser. I seems easy to adapt the code
> to load the OOo patterns as well. It is only a matter of input format;
> the hard work is not affected.

Good news! Thanks for checking.

Posted by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.nl>.
On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 11:05:40AM +0100, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> I'd like to propose moving all of the remaining hyphenation patterns to
> http://offo.sourceforge.net. Various reasons:
> - One-stop shop for all FOP hyphenation patterns
> - Most patterns are completely unproblematic from a license perspective
> but not from a Apache license policy perspective.
> - There are still items on the todo list for making some of the
> remaining patterns fully compliant with Apache license policy and I'm
> tired of running behind them. See [1]
> - We only have a somewhat special set of patterns remaining here (at
> least from my POV)

+1

Posted by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.nl>.
On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 07:34:05PM +0100, Andreas L. Delmelle wrote:
> [...]

The hyphenation target and the targets fop-hyphenation and
user-hyphenation should remain. The provision of a ready to install
jar file is a courtesy to the users of a distribution. Those checking
out from the repository may need to compile the hyphenation patterns,
if the distribution jar file is no longer valid. The class
org.apache.fop.tools.anttasks.SerializeHyphPattern is (almost)
indispensible for that task. I think that we will soon have another
hyphenation target, for OOo hyphenation patterns.

The DTD can be removed with the hyphenation patterns. It is specific
for this format of the patterns, and will be provided by OFFO together
with them.

Regards, Simon

Posted by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.nl>.
On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 04:02:00PM +0100, Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> > > You mean the uncompiled hyphenation XMLs? Not sure here.
> >
> > Yes, I wasn't sure of it myself... Ultimately, a hyph-only JAR containing
> > only compiled patterns would render this approach obsolete --suboptimal at
> > the very least.
> > In that case, the userconfig page might need a small update too; the
> > hyphenation-dir setting can be dropped.
>
> I don't think it would render it obsolete. Automatic compilation of the
> hyphenation patterns could be seen as user-friendly. Fewer things to do.
> Just a thought. It's secondary anyway.

FOP is able to compile FOP-format hyphenation patterns at run time,
and use the result during that run. No compiled file is written. The
HEAD code does currently not listen to any user configuration to find
those files. hyphenation-dir is observed in fop-0.20. In principle it
would be nice to restore this behaviour, and to extend it to
OOo-format patterns. But it is certainly secondary.

Regards, Simon

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
On 17.03.2005 15:02:02 Andreas L. Delmelle wrote:

That's what I would expect.

Posted by "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_...@pandora.be>.

Cheers,

Andreas

Re: [VOTE] Move all hyphenation patterns to offo.sourceforge.net

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
On 17.03.2005 11:00:15 Andreas L. Delmelle wrote:

Good thinking. Users should be reminded that they have to be careful,
although it's less a problem for them than for the ASF.

>   - Sources:
>     no change required
>   - Installing:
>     should basically come down to
>     a) making sure the JAR containing the hyphenation patterns
>        is accessible to FOP,

I read: make sure hyphenation patterns in an additional JAR is detected
by FOP. Right?

>     or b) making the XML available via the userconfig.

You mean the uncompiled hyphenation XMLs? Not sure here.

>     The principles will remain the same for the OOo patterns.
>     In any case, the option of having the patterns picked up
>     when rebuilding FOP is no longer the general use case (only
>     if the distribution jar is out of sync with the checked
>     out version of FOP, and even then... see below: build targets)
> - Hyphenation Patterns
>   A few modifications required + when support is available, add
>   some details about the specifics of the OOo patterns...
>
> As for the build targets: so we don't remove these, but it seems we
> definitely could/should tweak these to accomodate the creation of the JAR
> that will be offered through OFFO, via a command like 'ant hyphenation-jar',
> so that eventually, end-users can use this build target to compile their own
> hyphenation-only JARs containing only the patterns they need and want to
> use... Sounds better, agreed?

Yes.

> I'll see what I can get done before the weekend (see yesterday's mail from
> infrastructure@), else the commits will have to wait until next week.

Sounds good to me. Thanks for taking the ball! And BTW, it's good to
have you active again!!!

Posted by "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_...@pandora.be>.

Yes, in fop.sh this is achieved by looping over all the jars present in the
lib directory. In the Windows batch script, however, all the jars to be
picked up are specified individually... and just having attempted to mimic
the loop in the Win batch script, I can see why this is the case... the
environment variable's value is resolved only once, at the start of the
for-loop, so the different jars each get appended to the original value of
LOCALCLASSPATH.

Not that big a deal, but this means that Windows users can't rename this jar
into whatever they fancy. Unless they use Cygwin, they should either stick
to the name 'fop-hyph.jar', or add the jar to the classpath themselves
(maybe by using the FOP_HYPHENATION_PATH variable: see below)

> If the user has a variable FOP_HYPHENATION_PATH, then that
> should be added to the classpath.

Good idea. I've conveniently supposed that this environment variable should
contain all custom locations of the jars (not merely the directories to look
in, but the full paths to the jars themselves).

Cheers,

Andreas

Re: [VOTE] Move all hyphenation patterns to offo.sourceforge.net

Posted by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.nl>.
On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 02:19:46PM +0100, Andreas L. Delmelle wrote:
> [...]

jars in lib are added to the classpath by fop.sh. If the user has a

Posted by IndianAtTech <in...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_...@pandora.be>.

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_...@pandora.be>.

What I did so far (locally):

Modified the 'package' build target to deliver two separate JARs, say
fop.jar and fop-hyph.jar (added 'hyphenation-jar' target to its
dependencies)
The latter JAR can be rebuilt separately by putting the desired hyphenation
source files into ${FOP_HOME}/hyph and running Ant with the
'hyphenation-jar' build target.

Have the scripts --.bat and .sh-- append '${FOP_HOME}/build/fop-hyph.jar' to
the local CLASSPATH. I'm not too sure about the location here: is 'build'
OK, or should we dump it in the 'lib' folder, or just the 'hyph' folder?

In any case, we no longer provide hyphenation out-of-the-box, but using it
becomes fairly straightforward...
The instructions toward the end-user:
- either download precompiled 'fop-hyph.jar' from OFFO
  and place it in the build-dir (or the lib-dir? or hyph-dir?)
- or download the separate XML sources for the needed patterns,
  and run 'ant hyphenation-jar' which will create the JAR in
  the right place so it's picked up on the next run

If they really want to, they can use multiple hyphenation JARs as long as
they make sure they are all included in the CLASSPATH when running FOP. The
base 'fop-hyph.jar' can be used as a reference for the users to point out
what needs to be done.

We can still provide the option of using uncompiled patterns directly at
runtime, but IMO it would be better to present this as an option for
one-time usage, or to test a particular pattern before adding it to a JAR in
its compiled form.

Further comments always welcome.

Cheers,

Andreas

RE: [VOTE] Move all hyphenation patterns to offo.sourceforge.net

Posted by "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_...@pandora.be>.

Posted by "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_...@pandora.be>.

I guess an update is required for both hyphenation pages --FOP and OFFO.
I'll have a closer look at FOP's hyphenation page later tonight.

> and creating a jar file with all hyphenation patterns
> compiled for fop-0.20.5.

OK. As a slight detail, the hyphenation build target can probably be removed
from FOP's build.xml. Am I correct in assuming that the only file concerning
hyphenation to remain present in FOP's distro should be the DTD? (Or will
that be moved to OFFO as well?)

Greetz,

Andreas

Re: [VOTE] Move all hyphenation patterns to offo.sourceforge.net

Posted by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.nl>.
Andreas,

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 09:29:02AM +0100, Andreas L. Delmelle wrote:
> (and I *do* mean 'one', as in 'if there is anything specific I can do to
> alleviate Simon's workload, just give me a yell...' --got some spare time
> coming up that I'd be happy to put to good use)

I would be pleased to have your assistance. The work to be done is:
adapt the page hyphenation.html to the new situation, and creating a
jar file with all hyphenation patterns compiled for fop-0.20.5. It is
feasible to have compiled hyphenation patterns for HEAD as well, but
that may not be a good idea in the absence of a clear tag as a
reference point.

I would be pleased to share the administration of the OFFO site with
another member of the FOP team. It is not a lot of work.

Regards, Simon

Posted by "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_...@pandora.be>.

+1