Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com> on 2003/11/10 18:49:25 UTC

[changes] New goal for release report!

Hi,

I'm about to commit changes I've made to the changes plugin so that it
can generate a general report about releases of subprojects. Here's a
demo:

http://maven.apache.org/reference/plugins/optional/release-report.html

Do you like it?

I still need to sort over the release dates so that the latest project
released comes first in the list.

ATM, I've added a goal to the changes plugin. The reason is that
information is only taken from the changes.xml files. Do you think it
should be another plugin. Anyway, I'll commit it as a modification of
the changes plugin for now. I can always create a new plugin later on if
need be...

Thanks
-Vincent

RE: [changes] New goal for release report!

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 13:29, Vincent Massol wrote:
> Yes, I've also been uneasy about plugin that act on several projects.
> However this is the logical next step. It may be that our plugin are now
> getting ahead of the core...

I don't know about that I just think it's a matter possibly of
differentiating between plugins that were designed to act on a single
project versus those that act on a collection of the outputs from the
execution of a plugin on many projects.

As far as reporting goes we could add something to each of the report
plugins to deal with aggregation in a standard way. So you might run the
${report} goal using the multiproject plugin and then say look in
${report} plugin for the '${report}-aggregate' goal. Maybe make that
part of the of the jelly reporting api. Possibly have a property like
'supports.multiproject' or 'support.aggregation' to indicate that. Just
pushing out some ideas. Maybe the aggregation stuff could be placed in a
separate jelly file and included so it can be packaged along with the
plugin itself.

> To answer your question, yes, it concerns several plugins (it uses the
> reactor). However, there are different goals.
>
> Anyway, if you feel strongly I can create a "multichanges" plugin...

You're making the first attempt so what do you think would be easier for
the user and for maintenance down the road?

> Question: What is the architectural next step for plugins dealing with
> other plugins? Are they going to be of a different kind, etc?

For this particular case for reporting I don't think we need a special
kind or type of plugin but again you're doing this first so I might
think differently if I did.

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

RE: [changes] New goal for release report!

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 12:49, Vincent Massol wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm about to commit changes I've made to the changes plugin so that it
> can generate a general report about releases of subprojects. Here's a
> demo:
>
> http://maven.apache.org/reference/plugins/optional/release-report.html
>
> Do you like it?
>
> I still need to sort over the release dates so that the latest project
> released comes first in the list.
>
> ATM, I've added a goal to the changes plugin. The reason is that
> information is only taken from the changes.xml files. Do you think it
> should be another plugin. Anyway, I'll commit it as a modification of
> the changes plugin for now. I can always create a new plugin later on if
> need be...

So is this stuff that you want to put in the changes plugin specific to
dealing with a group of projects? Just wanted to make sure that the
changes plugin still only specifically deals with one project and the
aggregation for many projects is done elsewhere.

I'm just generally concerned about multi project stuff creeping into
individual plugins. I'm not saying this is what you've done I'm just
trying to guard against it.

> Thanks
> -Vincent

jvz.