Posted to user@pivot.apache.org by ccp999 <cc...@hotmail.com> on 2012/03/18 11:25:28 UTC

Interaction with ListView's Item not functioning

Hi,

I implemented an ListView ItemRenderer to show a group of components, like
TableView, PushButton inside the List Item.  However, I couldn't get any
interaction with these items.

Is it true that ListView can only be used to show and make selection? If
not, could you show me how to, let say, make the push button work in a
ItemRenderer?

Thanks,

Brendan

Re: Interaction with ListView's Item not functioning

Posted by ccp999 <cc...@hotmail.com>.
Thanks Chris for such detailed explanation.

Re: Interaction with ListView's Item not functioning

Posted by Chris Bartlett <cb...@gmail.com>.
Brendan,

Renderers are just used to alter the way that data is painted
.
You could possibly use a ListViewItemEditor to achieve what you want.
You would use your renderer to paint the ListView's items, but then
automatically open a  ListViewItemEditor when you move the mouse over
the item.  The editor would show the same data, in the same
Components, layed out in same way as your Renderer, but the user would
be able to interact with them.  You have control over where the Editor
is placed (so you can put it exactly on top of the correct ListView
item and the user will not notice that they are seeing an Editor and
not a Renderer)

https://pivot.apache.org/2.0.1/docs/api/org/apache/pivot/wtk/Renderer.html
https://pivot.apache.org/2.0.1/docs/api/org/apache/pivot/wtk/ListView.ItemRenderer.html
https://pivot.apache.org/2.0.1/docs/api/org/apache/pivot/wtk/content/ListViewItemEditor.html

Have a look at the Table Row Editor demo to see how editors can be used.
http://pivot.apache.org/demos/table-row-editor.html
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/pivot/trunk/demos/src/org/apache/pivot/demos/roweditor/

Note that this shows a transition when the editor opens, but that does
not have to happen.  Also, the TableView's row editor looks different
to the renderer, but you could make them the same so that the end user
is unaware that they are being presented with an Editor rather than a
Renderer.

Another option would just be to use Container such as TablePane or
BoxPane instead of a ListView.  You could create a custom Component
(using much of the code of your existing ListView.ItemRenderer) that
you would then add into the Container to be the 'ListView items'.
These will be true Component with full user interaction, and not just
rendered Components like you see with your custom
ListView.ItemRenderer.

Of course by doing this, you wouldn't have the same data model
controlling what is shown in the new 'ListView', but you could add
that yourself too if needed.

Chris