Posted to commits@bloodhound.apache.org by Apache Bloodhound <bl...@incubator.apache.org> on 2012/08/06 12:26:53 UTC

[Apache Bloodhound] #154: Installer fails when providing repository type without a path and vice versa

#154: Installer fails when providing repository type without a path and vice
versa
-----------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  gjm        |      Owner:  gjm
     Type:  defect     |     Status:  new
 Fix should:
  1. Effectively ignore the repo type field if the repo path is missing.
  2. Fail with an informative message if a repo path is provided without
 specifying the type.

--
Ticket URL: <https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ticket/154>
Apache Bloodhound <https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/>

Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #154: Installer fails when providing repository type without a path and vice versa

Posted by Apache Bloodhound <bl...@incubator.apache.org>.
#154: Installer fails when providing repository type without a path and vice
versa
------------------------+-----------------------
  Reporter:  gjm        |      Owner:  jure
      Type:  defect     |     Status:  accepted
 Component:  installer  |    Version:
Resolution:             |   Keywords:  starter
------------------------+-----------------------

Comment (by gjm):

 r1393384 fixes.. thanks jure. Only change relative to the patch was the
 message.

--
Ticket URL: <https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ticket/154#comment:6>

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
On 01/10/12 11:50, Apache Bloodhound wrote:
> #154: Installer fails when providing repository type without a path and vice
> versa
> ------------------------+-----------------------
>    Reporter:  gjm        |      Owner:  jure
>        Type:  defect     |     Status:  assigned
>   Component:  installer  |    Version:
> Resolution:             |   Keywords:  starter
> ------------------------+-----------------------
>
> Comment (by jure):
>
>   Looking at the trac.do_initenv, the method expects both, repository type
>   and directory, to be passed. There are 2 options, we can either:
>   - require that both (type & path) are specified
>   - provide meaningful defaults for type, not sure what that would be
>   I would go with the first option, require the user to specify both and
>   fail if either is missing. Otherwise the setup output is not really what
>   user expected as the warning can easily be overlooked ...

I am happy with the first option for relative simplicity. So the user
must either specify both of --repository-type and --repository-path or
neither.

Cheers,
     Gary

Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #154: Installer fails when providing repository type without a path and vice versa

Posted by Apache Bloodhound <bl...@incubator.apache.org>.
#154: Installer fails when providing repository type without a path and vice
versa
------------------------+-----------------------

Ticket URL: <https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ticket/154#comment:4>

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On 10/3/12, Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On 03/10/12 14:38, Ryan Ollos wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 3:00 AM, Gary Martin
>> <ga...@wandisco.com>wrote:

[...]
>> It looks like
>> there
>> is a long-standing ticket in Trac for this feature. It one of those
>> frustrating tickets that has has several patches generated, but never
>> seemed to going anywhere for no obvious reason.
>>
>> (1) http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/AnnouncerPlugin
>> (2) http://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/2259

[...]
> For our purposes, it could be argued that it is the correct behaviour
> for https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound as it is probably better for
> the person proposing the patch to mention it here.

fwiw +1
IMO explanation and potential discussion is more important than patch summary

Olemis.

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/
Blog EN: http://simelo-en.blogspot.com/

Featured article:

Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #154: Installer fails when providing repository type without a path and vice versa

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
On 03/10/12 14:38, Ryan Ollos wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 3:00 AM, Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Jure,
>>
>> Annoyingly it seems that adding attachments does not trigger email updates
>> so I missed your patch for this issue.
>>
>> Anyway, good job there. If you don't mind, I will expand on the error
>> message that you suggest.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>      Gary
>>
> Hi Gary,
>
> I thought there was an option to send notification when attachments are
> added, but I was thinking of my experience using the AnnouncerPlugin, which
> always sends an email when an attachment is added (1). It looks like there
> is a long-standing ticket in Trac for this feature. It one of those
> frustrating tickets that has has several patches generated, but never
> seemed to going anywhere for no obvious reason.
>
> (1) http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/AnnouncerPlugin
> (2) http://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/2259

Yeah, I spotted that ticket. I thought it might be worth waiting to see
if there was a demand for this to be fixed.

For our purposes, it could be argued that it is the correct behaviour
for https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound as it is probably better for
the person proposing the patch to mention it here. It doesn't seem right
more generally though. It may well be worth looking at the
AnnouncerPlugin if it solves this and other problems. The CC behaviour
mentioned in https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ticket/210 may be one
of these cases.

Cheers,
     Gary

Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #154: Installer fails when providing repository type without a path and vice versa

Posted by Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>.

Re: #190 (Was: Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #154: Installer fails when providing repository type without a path and vice versa)

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On 10/4/12, Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On 04/10/12 13:53, Jure Žitnik wrote:
>> Hi Gary,
>>
>> On 10/3/12 12:00 PM, Gary Martin wrote:
>>> Hi Jure,
>>>
>>> Annoyingly it seems that adding attachments does not trigger email
>>> updates so I missed your patch for this issue.
>>
>> Another ticket that's pending proposed patch review is #190.
>
> Good point. Here is the link to that ticket for more information:
> https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ticket/190
>
> The fix is pretty simple and I don't see any particular problem with it.
>
> One thing worth noting is that I believe you can replace
>
>     more_link_href = req.href('query', args)
>
> with
>
>     more_link_href = req.href.query(args)

+1 ... just a matter of styles ; prefer using the later rather than
the former , except in cases like

more_link_href = req.href('query' if q else 'report', args)

#190 (Was: Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #154: Installer fails when providing repository type without a path and vice versa)

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
On 04/10/12 13:53, Jure Žitnik wrote:
> Hi Gary,
>
> On 10/3/12 12:00 PM, Gary Martin wrote:
>> Hi Jure,
>>
>> Annoyingly it seems that adding attachments does not trigger email
>> updates so I missed your patch for this issue.
>
> Another ticket that's pending proposed patch review is #190.

Good point. Here is the link to that ticket for more information:
https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ticket/190

The fix is pretty simple and I don't see any particular problem with it.

One thing worth noting is that I believe you can replace

    more_link_href = req.href('query', args)

with

    more_link_href = req.href.query(args)

Personally, I am not sure that the latter is any better style but you
may spot that kind of code in places. I would be happy to commit Jure's
patch unchanged.

Cheers,
     Gary

Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #154: Installer fails when providing repository type without a path and vice versa

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
it seems to me that we need new workflow installed ...

Posted by Jure Žitnik <ju...@digiverse.si>.
Hi Gary,

On 10/3/12 12:00 PM, Gary Martin wrote:
> Hi Jure,
>
> Annoyingly it seems that adding attachments does not trigger email
> updates so I missed your patch for this issue.

Another ticket that's pending proposed patch review is #190.

> Anyway, good job there. If you don't mind, I will expand on the error
> message that you suggest.

Great, thanks.
Cheers,
Jure

Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #154: Installer fails when providing repository type without a path and vice versa

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
Hi Jure,

Posted by Apache Bloodhound <bl...@incubator.apache.org>.
#154: Installer fails when providing repository type without a path and vice
versa
------------------------+-----------------------

Ticket URL: <https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ticket/154#comment:5>

Posted by Apache Bloodhound <bl...@incubator.apache.org>.
#154: Installer fails when providing repository type without a path and vice
versa
------------------------+-----------------------
  Reporter:  gjm        |      Owner:  jure
      Type:  defect     |     Status:  assigned
 Component:  installer  |    Version:
Resolution:             |   Keywords:  starter
------------------------+-----------------------
Changes (by jure):

 * owner:  nobody => jure

--
Ticket URL: <https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ticket/154#comment:3>

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
Hi,

I just updated this ticket so that there is plenty more information to
help a new contributor.

It is not a ticket that is likely to teach anything important about the
workings of Bloodhound/Trac but it wouldn't hurt to have more people
aware of how the initial configuration works.

Cheers,
     Gary

Posted by Apache Bloodhound <bl...@incubator.apache.org>.
#154: Installer fails when providing repository type without a path and vice
versa
------------------------+-----------------------
  Reporter:  gjm        |      Owner:  nobody

Ticket URL: <https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ticket/154#comment:2>

Posted by Apache Bloodhound <bl...@incubator.apache.org>.
#154: Installer fails when providing repository type without a path and vice
versa
------------------------+-----------------------
  Reporter:  gjm        |      Owner:  gjm
      Type:  defect     |     Status:  new
 Component:  installer  |    Version:
Resolution:             |   Keywords:  starter
------------------------+-----------------------
Changes (by jdreimann):

 * keywords:   => starter

--
Ticket URL: <https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ticket/154#comment:1>

Posted by Apache Bloodhound <bl...@incubator.apache.org>.
#154: Installer fails when providing repository type without a path and vice
versa
------------------------+-----------------------
  Reporter:  gjm        |      Owner:  jure
      Type:  defect     |     Status:  closed
 Component:  installer  |    Version:
Resolution:  fixed      |   Keywords:  starter
Changes (by gjm):

 * status:  accepted => closed
 * resolution:   => fixed

--