Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Daniele Zuco <zu...@istat.it> on 2010/07/05 08:39:23 UTC

Subversion with Berkley DB

Hi
I would like to try storing my repository using the database Oracle
Berkley DB.
Up to now i have only used FSFS repositories and i don't see a lot of
people interested in Berkley DB.
There are some documentation about it or there are some limits (i mean
number of version betwen subversion server and berkley db server)?
Thanks
daniele z.

ATTENZIONE: Le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio sono  da considerarsi strettamente
confidenziali  e  il  loro utilizzo e' riservato al destinatario.  Chi,  per errore, dovesse
ricevere  questo  messaggio e' pregato  di informarne, con  tempestivita', il mittente e  di
rimuoverlo da ogni supporto elettronico o cartaceo, distruggendone, quindi, il contenuto. Si
avvisa,  inoltre,  che ogni utilizzo  non  autorizzato del presente messaggio  e/o  dei suoi
allegati e' fonte di  responsabilita' per l'autore di tale  improprio utilizzo,  secondo  la
normativa vigente.

DISCLAIMER: This  message contains confidential and/or  proprietary information which may be
subject  to privilege  or  immunity  and  which is intended for use of its addressees  only.
Should you receive this message in error, you  are kindly requested to inform the sender  as
soon as possible  and  to permanently  delete  it from  your system  and  from  any paper or
electronic format. Please also note that the unauthorized disclosure or use of the message or
any attachments implies the responsibility of the person behind such improper use, according
to applicable laws and regulations.

Re: Subversion with Berkley DB

Posted by Daniele Zuco <zu...@istat.it>.
Hyrum K. Wright ha scritto:
> On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 4:39 AM, Daniele Zuco <zu...@istat.it> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>> I would like to try storing my repository using the database Oracle Berkley
>>> DB.
>>>
>> Why? Berkeley DB is deprecated for many reasons, and has been since at
>> least Subversion 1.3. It does not operate well on network filesystems,
>> for example. It's proven itself as exceedingly unreliable when
>> upgrading, and difficult to repair errors in without far more
>> expertise than most users can be troubled to maintain with an
>> increasingly obscure format.
>>

> While I don't disagree with the rest of your post, the Berkeley DB
> backend is certainly not deprecated.  It may not be the recommended
> backend, but it is still supported and enhanced, along with the more
> popular FSFS backend.
>
> -Hyrum

Surely FSFS is more robust but i would like to use the database
repository in order to query it for retrieving log messages.
I mean that rhe source code in inside the FSFS repository and
periodically we esport from FSFS and import in DB, so
we could use SQL to query tables containing log messages about file and
directory versioned (instead of svn log).
But what version of Barkley DB can i use. The last version 5 is ok or i
must use lower version? Thanks

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu>.

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com>.

Subversion with Berkley DB