Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org> on 2003/09/20 04:48:09 UTC

RSS and Apache NEWS (Re: Why top level is good for you)

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 16:23:00 -0400
"Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> wrote:

> For example, what if we had an RSS aggregator and RSS feeds from
> different projects? Or what if we had a portal site where people could
> customize their view?

Strongly agree. This is what I wanted to talk @ infrastructure
mailing list.

cf. http://nagoya.apache.org/poi/news/

I (The Apache Newsletter Issuer/Editor) can also make use of it.

Cheers,

__ Tetsuya <te...@apache.org> __

E-mail: tetsuya@apache.org  http://www.terra-intl.com/
(Accredited Herrmann Brain Dominance Instrument Facilitator)
http://www.hbdi.com/

Re: RSS and Apache NEWS (Re: Why top level is good for you)

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 23:34:49 -0400
"Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> wrote:

> > cf. http://nagoya.apache.org/poi/news/
>
> POI News page is hit roughly a dozen times an hour, which is actually far
> more often than I would have imagined.  I haven't looked to see how many of
> those hits are from robots.  The ASF sites record hits at over 140K per
> hour.  That is four orders of magnitude more than the POI News page.  So,
> yes, we can talk about finding better ways to improve the experience, but
> don't lose sight of the whole picture.  :-)

:-) Agreed

> As far as the newsletter goes, the Wiki is capable of providing an RSS feed,
> and I believe that is looking at RSS aggregation, which should help with
> newsletter production.

Oh, really!? Very appreciate.

Note:
http://postneo.com/categories/java/2003/08/16.html

useful for the evangelists, needless to say.
(People are also using the top page of Jakarta website. Because
I put many news from various projects in/outof the apache.org)

--

Now is the time (for us) to think of the "Marketing" of
Apache Software Foundation's efforts (products)

__ Tetsuya <te...@apache.org> __

RE: RSS and Apache NEWS (Re: Why top level is good for you)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Tetsuya Kitahata wrote:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote
> > For example, what if we had an RSS aggregator and RSS feeds from
> > different projects? Or what if we had a portal site where people could
> > customize their view?

> Strongly agree. This is what I wanted to talk @ infrastructure
> mailing list.

> cf. http://nagoya.apache.org/poi/news/

POI News page is hit roughly a dozen times an hour, which is actually far
more often than I would have imagined.  I haven't looked to see how many of
those hits are from robots.  The ASF sites record hits at over 140K per
hour.  That is four orders of magnitude more than the POI News page.  So,
yes, we can talk about finding better ways to improve the experience, but
don't lose sight of the whole picture.  :-)

As far as the newsletter goes, the Wiki is capable of providing an RSS feed,
and I believe that is looking at RSS aggregation, which should help with
newsletter production.

	--- Noel