Posted to docs-dev@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2003/01/01 05:20:39 UTC

Re: FAQ?

Randy Kobes wrote:
> I was thinking - there's a number of questions, both on the list
> and private, that are starting to become FAQs, and it might be an
> idea to start a FAQ document. For those that are Win32-specific,
> I was thinking of having a faq.pod under docs/2.0/os/win32/ -
> would that be an appropriate place? Not all relate to mod_perl
> 2.0 particularly, but I guess eventually this will be the area
> most often used. Or would another, more general location, be
> better, with an os-specific section?

I believe 2/3 of the mod_perl 1.0 guide is really a FAQ. People were
asking questions, and the answers got into the guide. We don't want to
start a second document project duplicating the existing things. Think
of the /docs as of a merge of FAQ and manual and reference pages. Please
notice that docs/2.0/ is just at its beginning so the layout/set of
pages is incomplete and will evolve as there is new information to add.

So if you can be more specific of what kind of answers you want to add,
we will find a place for them or create a new documents to put in if
needed. I know that they are win32 specific, I'd like to know the topics.

Re: FAQ?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Randy Kobes wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Jan 2003 domm@zsi.at wrote:
>

>>Hi!
>>
>>On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 10:45:13PM -0600, Randy Kobes wrote:
>
> [ ... ]
>
>>>etc. These would just be links to the relevant place in the
>>>guide, or other places in the docs - it's just that, especially
>>>on Win32, some people seem to have trouble finding these ...
>>
>>There is something like this in the 1.0 guide:
>>/docs/1.0/guide/frequent.html
>

> That's a good example of what I had in mind for these - mainly
> just a link to the appropriate doc, where the answer is discussed
> in detail.

+1

>>What about adding those questions there or to
>>/docs/1.0/os/win32/
>

> The docs/1.0/guide/frequent.html page I don't think would be
> appropriate, as that is for general problems, and the ones I was
> thinking of were more Win32 specific. Maybe under
> /docs/(1.0|2.0)/os/win32/?
>
> However, if there's a feeling this would fragment things, I won't
> bother ...

No, no, /docs/(1.0|2.0)/os/win32/(frequent|faq) with pointers to the
real docs won't cause any fragmentation.

Most of the issues you have mentioned should reside in troubleshoot.pod
(not the pointers, but the long asnwers).

Re: FAQ?

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.

--
best regards,
randy

Re: FAQ?

Posted by do...@zsi.at.

#!/usr/bin/perl                               http://domm.zsi.at

Re: FAQ?

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Wed, 1 Jan 2003, Stas Bekman wrote:

> Randy Kobes wrote:
> > I was thinking - there's a number of questions, both on the list
> > and private, that are starting to become FAQs, and it might be an
> > idea to start a FAQ document. For those that are Win32-specific,
> > I was thinking of having a faq.pod under docs/2.0/os/win32/ -
> > would that be an appropriate place? Not all relate to mod_perl
> > 2.0 particularly, but I guess eventually this will be the area
> > most often used. Or would another, more general location, be
> > better, with an os-specific section?
>
> I believe 2/3 of the mod_perl 1.0 guide is really a FAQ. People were
> asking questions, and the answers got into the guide. We don't want to
> start a second document project duplicating the existing things. Think
> of the /docs as of a merge of FAQ and manual and reference pages. Please
> notice that docs/2.0/ is just at its beginning so the layout/set of
> pages is incomplete and will evolve as there is new information to add.
>
> So if you can be more specific of what kind of answers you want to add,
> we will find a place for them or create a new documents to put in if
> needed. I know that they are win32 specific, I'd like to know the topics.

Certainly the guide is the authoratitive source, and what I had
in mind for the faqs aren't new questions that aren't answered
elsewhere. And maybe with the search now such faqs would be
redundant. I was just thinking of short little snippets that are
commonly asked, to collect in one place, such as (in no
particular order)

- how to get a mod_perl binary distribution
- how to track down an "Unable to load modules/mod_perl.so" error
- how to set the PATH
- how do I know scripts are running under mod_perl
- how can I run asp scripts
- my scripts hang under perl-5.6.1
- my script's source just displays in the browser
- should I switch to mod_perl 2.0
- do I need Perl to use mod_perl
- where can I get 'nmake'?