Posted to general@lucene.apache.org by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> on 2014/04/25 23:38:13 UTC

VOTE: RC1 Release apache-solr-ref-guide-4.8.pdf

(Note: cross posted to general, please confine replies to dev@lucene)

Please VOTE to release the following RC1 as apache-solr-ref-guide-4.8.pdf ...

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/solr/ref-guide/apache-solr-ref-guide-4.8-RC1

The notes I previously mentioned regarding RC0 apply to this RC as well...

1) Due to a known bug in confluence, the PDFs it generates are much bigger
then they should be.  This bug has been fixed in the latest version of
confluence, but cwiki.apache.rog has not yet been updated.  For that
reason, I have manually run a small tool against the PDF to "fix" the size
(see SOLR-5819).  The first time i tried this approach, it inadvertantly
removed the "Index" (aka: Table of Contents, or Bookmarks depending on
what PDF reader client you use).  I've already fixed this, but if you
notice anything else unusual about this PDF compared to previous versions
please speak up so we can see if it's a result of this post-processing and
try to fix it.

2) This is the first ref guide release where we've started using a special
confluence macro for any lucene/solr javadoc links.  The up side is that
all javadoc links in this 4.8 ref guide will now correctly point to the
4.8 javadocs on lucene.apache.org -- the down side is that this means none
of those links currently work, since the 4.8 code release is still ongoing
and the website has not yet been updated.

Because of #2, I intend to leave this ref guide vote open until the 4.8
code release is final - that way we won't officially be releasing this doc
until the 4.8 javadocs are uploaded and all the links work properly.

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/

Re: VOTE: RC1 Release apache-solr-ref-guide-4.8.pdf

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
+1

Grant Ingersoll | @gsingers

Posted by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com>.
+1

Steve

Posted by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com>.
This vote has passed.  Thanks everybody for voting.

Hoss asked me offline to finish the release - I’ll start doing that now.

Steve

Posted by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
Whoops, i forgot my own vote...

: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/solr/ref-guide/apache-solr-ref-guide-4.8-RC1

+1 to RC1 with this SHA...

9904feefcdbad85eea1a81fe531f37df22ca134f  apache-solr-ref-guide-4.8.pdf

(Note: we still need at least 1 more binding +1)

Posted by Anshum Gupta <an...@anshumgupta.net>.
+1

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 2:38 PM, Chris Hostetter
<ho...@fucit.org>wrote:

> (Note: cross posted to general, please confine replies to dev@lucene)
>
> Please VOTE to release the following RC1 as apache-solr-ref-guide-4.8.pdf
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/solr/ref-
> guide/apache-solr-ref-guide-4.8-RC1
>

> The notes I previously mentioned regarding RC0 apply to this RC as well...
>
> 1) Due to a known bug in confluence, the PDFs it generates are much bigger
> then they should be.  This bug has been fixed in the latest version of
> confluence, but cwiki.apache.rog has not yet been updated.  For that
> reason, I have manually run a small tool against the PDF to "fix" the size
> (see SOLR-5819).  The first time i tried this approach, it inadvertantly
> removed the "Index" (aka: Table of Contents, or Bookmarks depending on what
> PDF reader client you use).  I've already fixed this, but if you notice
> anything else unusual about this PDF compared to previous versions please
> speak up so we can see if it's a result of this post-processing and try to
> fix it.
>
> 2) This is the first ref guide release where we've started using a special
> confluence macro for any lucene/solr javadoc links.  The up side is that
> all javadoc links in this 4.8 ref guide will now correctly point to the 4.8
> javadocs on lucene.apache.org -- the down side is that this means none of
> those links currently work, since the 4.8 code release is still ongoing and
> the website has not yet been updated.
>
> Because of #2, I intend to leave this ref guide vote open until the 4.8
> code release is final - that way we won't officially be releasing this doc
> until the 4.8 javadocs are uploaded and all the links work properly.
>

> -Hoss
> http://www.lucidworks.com/

Anshum Gupta
http://www.anshumgupta.net