Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Matt Doran <ma...@papercut.com> on 2008/09/15 13:56:27 UTC

Ideas on transitioning from earlier version to Tapestry 5

Hi there,

PaperCut NG, our commercial print control application uses Tapestry 3
for it's UI layer.    It's more of a web application than a typical
web-site.  We make a heavy use of components, to achieve that
"application-like" feel.  Tapestry has been great for us, and has
allowed us to build a great web application.  I don't think any other
framework would have allowed us to build the application we have.

Tapestry 3 is starting to show it's age, and we really want to upgrade
to Tapesty 5 at some point (T5 looks like an excellent framework).   But
the only pragmatic way to do it is a gradual transition.  It's just not
feasible to do the upgrade hundreds of components/pages in one go.  So
what I'm wondering is if this is something that would be possible with T5.

Obviously there's going to be a bit of work, managing session state,
handling URLs, etc.  And that's fine.    Do you guys think handling both
T3 and T5 pages/components in the same web application would be
feasible?   How do you think this integration should be achieved?
Could any components/services built within the Tapestry
infrastructure/services to simplify this process?

I'd think this type of situation would be quite common in the Tapestry
community.    I'm very keen to hear what the Tapestry experts have to
say!!   We don't want to stay on T3 forever! ;)

PS: I'm a complete T5 noob, but I'm keen to learn the ropes.

Regards,
Matt Doran

Re: Ideas on transitioning from earlier version to Tapestry 5

Posted by Matt Doran <ma...@papercut.com>.

SergeEby wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I started documenting this for the migration from T4 to T5.
> Please refer to the following project:
> http://code.google.com/p/tapestry5-appfuse/
> The code is updated. However, I haven't had a chance to update the steps
> recently, but this is on my todo list.
>

> /Serge

Thanks, I'll take a look.

I was surprised that there was no response to this post to now.  I would
have thought this would be a very common problem for the Tapestry community.

Have a way to transition from T3/4 to T5 in a progressive manner must be
something many others would be interested in too.

Thanks,
Matt

Re: Ideas on transitioning from earlier version to Tapestry 5

Posted by SergeEby <sd...@hotmail.com>.
Hi,