Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be> on 2008/02/02 16:30:59 UTC

Re: svn commit: r617812 - in /xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/src/java/org/apache/fop/fo: flow/ properties/

On Feb 2, 2008, at 16:13, adelmelle@apache.org wrote:

> Author: adelmelle
> Date: Sat Feb  2 07:13:40 2008
> New Revision: 617812

> Log:
> Further cleanup/refinement of FixedLength:
> * improve consistency in use of the PropertyCache
>   remove public constructor ->  replaced by getInstance() in a
> handful of classes
> * added a sourceResolution parameter to getInstance() and the private
>   constructor to allow better handling of device-dependent units (px)

Just some details that caught my eye last night, after having looked
into bug 44343.
Concerning the resolution question, I'm not sure whether I succeeded
in reducing the fishy-ness of the convert() method, or even
addressing the actual problem implied in the TODO which I have now
removed/changed.
IIUC, it was only problematic in the sense that it always silently
converted pixel-values to millipoint-values using an assumed ratio of
1. So, it could happen that we modified the source-resolution in the
FOUserAgent, and still internally, we would assume a resolution of
72dpi for the interpretation of pixel-values...
Modifying the signature to allow passing in that ratio seemed like a
fine solution, albeit only partial. All that remains now is to make
sure that this ratio gets correctly passed into
FixedLength.getInstance() where applicable. I'll have a closer look
at that later.

Cheers

Andreas