Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Milan <mi...@barodainformatics.com> on 2013/12/27 10:31:01 UTC

Apache Tomcat 5.0.28 Server/Intermittently Web Apps becomes Unresponsive

Hello to All,

Before stating my question or problem I am facing, let me gives you the
complete architecture we are currently using.

-          Intel Xeon CPU 3.20 GHz (2 Processor)

-          Windows Server 2008 Standard

-          RAM 8.00 GB

-          JDK 1.6 (With following JAVA_OPTS Environment Variable value
-Xmx1024M)

-          Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Enterprise

-          Oracle 10g (On different Physical machine)

-          Apache Tomcat 5.0.28 Server

-          Single Web Application on Apache Tomcat 5.0.28 Server

-          Single Database in Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Enterprise

-          Both Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Enterprise and Apache Tomcat
5.0.28 Server is on same physical as well as logical machine

-          The Web is simultaneously communicating with Oracle 10g and
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Enterprise for Database transaction.

-          There are around 15 to 20 users are using this web apps
simultaneously.

-          The Web Apps is used on Hand Held Terminals having Windows CE OS.

-          Hand Held Terminals are connected using Wi-Fi access point. This
access point again connected to server using LAN wire (LAN Network).

-          Hand Held Terminals (Wi-Fi) àAccess
Point(Wi-Fi)àSwitchàServer(Via LAN).

-          Each transaction, i.e. Data Insertion in both Database took
around 3 to 5 seconds.

-          We have used DBCP for Database connection.

-          When data insertion took place we are using servlet for
transaction to Database. So request raise from JSP to Servlet.

Now the issue I am facing right now is in a middle of any transaction to DB
or say while user try to opening any form or try to load the application in
IE,

He/she does not get any response in browser, the browser simply display
progress bar and keep on processing and then after fair enough time(say 2 to
3 Minutes). Its stop processing page.

While I restart my Apache Tomcat 5.0.28 Service, the web apps start
responding smoothly again as in normal state.

The issue’s frequency in one day is 3 to 4 time at any given time, say
randomly. They called it “Hanging of Apache Tomcat”, but I am not still
fully sure what is actually happening.

Following is my web app’s context.

<Resource name="jdbc/wipo" auth="Container" type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>

<ResourceParams name="jdbc/wipo">

eFactory</value></parameter>

r</value></parameter>

ameter>

</ResourceParams>

<Resource name="jdbc/wips" auth="Container" type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>

                <ResourceParams name="jdbc/wips">

thod=serverCursor;loginTimeout=30;databaseName=dbname</value></parameter>
QLServerDriver</value></parameter>

                </ResourceParams>

While this particular situation arises,  my tomcat service shows running.

Please help me with this issued as I am able to resolve it.

Manny Thanks.

Thanks and Regards,

Milan Dalsaniya

BIPL

Re: Apache Tomcat 5.0.28 Server/Intermittently Web Apps becomes Unresponsive

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: Apache Tomcat 5.0.28 Server/Intermittently Web Apps becomes Unresponsive

Posted by Milan <mi...@barodainformatics.com>.
Thanks : David Kerber and Chris

As you suggested that the issue is more likely belongs to database, you are
right, I have checked in my oracle that is there been any blocking session
are there?
And guess what, I have found blocked session and when I kill them manually,
the application execution resume.

Actually there is no hanging of tomcat service as such, because as I stated
before, when I kill my blocking session, all again running fine.

Now what I was thinking is how to avoid that blocking session from my
application code.
Currently, what I have done in my servlet programming till date is as
follows.
1) In doPost Method, I created or say get datasource object.
2) from doPost method I transfer my control to business logic method.
3) in my business logic method, I create connection object locally. In same
method I create my statement object
3) then close them all at the end of business logic method.(Using finally
block)

Now, Can you suggest me how I should use DBCP i.e. Creating DataSource
Object, Connection Object, Statement object.
Suggest me efficient way to use DBCP so that I can avoid blocking session in
my oracle

Thanks and Regards,

Milan Dalsaniya
BIPL

> -          Each transaction, i.e. Data Insertion in both Database took
> around 3 to 5 seconds.
>
> -          We have used DBCP for Database connection.
>
> -          When data insertion took place we are using servlet for
> transaction to Database. So request raise from JSP to Servlet.
>

> Now the issue I am facing right now is in a middle of any transaction
> to DB or say while user try to opening any form or try to load the
> application in IE,
>
> He/she does not get any response in browser, the browser simply
> display progress bar and keep on processing and then after fair enough
> time(say 2 to
> 3 Minutes). Its stop processing page.

To me, this "feels" like an issue with the database or your app's
connections to it.  A few of possibilities come to mind:

    1.  there is a rogue query in your app that is taking a very long time
to return.

    2.  You are running out of db resources, such as connections or open
statements, and it is blocking other operations while waiting for resources
to be freed up.

    3.  A query or other db operation is blocking (due to record locks or
similar things) for a long time, and the users time out while waiting for
the block to be released.

So, to help isolate the problem, a few questions:

    1.  When this is happening, is it only this client who is affected, or
are others stopped as well?

    2.  What are the cpu and memory usage during the hang time?  8GB doesn't
seem like a lot of memory for SQL Server Enterprise when it's sharing a
machine with other services.

    3.  Is the memory usage pretty steady, or is it going up over time
before you get this hang?

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.

Posted by "James H. H. Lampert" <ja...@touchtonecorp.com>.
> Upgrading Tomcat is certainly something you should do, but it probably
> won't fix your issue.

Yet it might. We were having all kinds of difficulties with lockups,
usually at times and places where a thread dump couldn't be done, for
one reason or another (typically a customer box, when nobody with the
vaguest idea of how to do one was there to pick up the pieces), and as
soon as we updated to the latest Tomcat, the lockups went away, and
haven't been seen since.

--
JHHL

Re: Apache Tomcat 5.0.28 Server/Intermittently Web Apps becomes Unresponsive

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: Apache Tomcat 5.0.28 Server/Intermittently Web Apps becomes Unresponsive

Posted by Milan <mi...@barodainformatics.com>.
Thanks André Warnier,

As you mentioned earlier, on a lighter note, it is unpleasant Response for
me. But still you managed respond so really thank you for that.

I think you had gone through my mail, so I would like you to suggest me that
for this particular cases which tomcat version do you suggest to migrate.
And yeah still positively waiting for the response with some nearby
solution.
Advices and suggestion are always welcome.

Thanks and Regards,

Milan Dalsaniya
BIPL

> Before stating my question or problem I am facing, let me gives you
> the complete architecture we are currently using.

Nice and effective of you to do so.  It saves us asking, and saves you from
waiting an extra step for the answers.  (However unpleasant the answer may
be).

> -          JDK 1.6 (With following JAVA_OPTS Environment Variable value
> -Xmx1024M)

No longer actively supported (at least by Oracle), see :
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html

> -          Apache Tomcat 5.0.28 Server

Archived. See : https://tomcat.apache.org/whichversion.html
(last update to Tomcat 5.0 was in 11/2004)

In other words : Because Tomcat is an Open Source and free product, of which
the development and support are done by volunteers, there is a certain
shortage of resources which makes it hard to devote time to provide help for
such an old version.  Virtually nobody has that version running anymore, so
nobody would be able to easily run tests etc..

It's not that we don't want, but probably nobody is going to be very
interested in digging very deep into your issue before you upgrade to more
current versions and tell us that you have the same issues then.

Re: Apache Tomcat 5.0.28 Server/Intermittently Web Apps becomes Unresponsive

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.