Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Naomi Slater <ns...@apache.org> on 2023/02/03 21:09:10 UTC

33% of 62,594 StackOverflow respondents love CouchDB

Hey folks,

Was just looking over the results of the StackOverflow survey asking developers which technologies they loved vs dreaded in several different categories.

Was looking at the Database list. Now, obviously, they only show the top x% of results, so the list also functions as a list of the 16 (in this case) most used databases.

I saw Couchbase on there, and wasn't surprised... and then I noticed CouchDB! We're second from last. But I still think this is a major win for us.

https://survey.stackoverflow.co/2022/#section-most-loved-dreaded-and-wanted-databases

33% of 62,594 respondents said yes for CouchDB when asked:

> Which database environments have you done extensive development work in over the past year, and which do you want to work in over the next year?

CouchDB forever!

Naomi

Re: 33% of 62,594 StackOverflow respondents love CouchDB

Posted by Johs Ensby <jo...@b2w.com>.
Hi Naomi,
Sorry that your report was too good to be true
johs
> On 3 Feb 2023, at 22:09, Naomi Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> https://survey.stackoverflow.co/2022/#section-most-loved-dreaded-and-wanted-databases
>
> 33% of 62,594 respondents said yes for CouchDB when asked:
>
>> Which database environments have you done extensive development work in over the past year, and which do you want to work in over the next year?

The love only amounted to 0,4% of the 62K

257 loved and 526 dreaded CouchDB
The love was 32.8% of 257+526

Re: 33% of 62,594 StackOverflow respondents love CouchDB

Posted by ASF email <an...@apache.org>.
Hey Naomi,

Yeah - I also think it is a good sign. CouchDB is kinda niche product but is still extra relevant. In the last job I worked (Digital Blast / Fanblast), they are using Couchbase as the main DB system. I have to admit that no one was able to explain, why the choose it. And I don’t understand why it makes sense to have a SQL interface for a mainly document based database.

One reason why Couchbase was chosen is the availability of a hosted Couchbase and the easy integration into AWS (what they use). That’s at least my guess.

All the best

Andy