Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Nick Gilbert <ni...@nickgilbert.com> on 2005/05/10 00:26:23 UTC

Difference in scores between spamc and spamassassin

Hi,

Why do I get (VERY) different results on the same machine if I call
spamassassin in two different ways? Eg:

spamassassin -D < spam.txt

Gives:

         RCVD_IN_SORBS_DUL,URIBL_OB_SURBL,URIBL_SBL autolearn=unavailable
         version=3.0.3

but:

spamc < spam.txt

gives:

         autolearn=no version=3.0.3

Surely they should both give exactly the same result?

Thanks,

Nick...

Re: Difference in scores between spamc and spamassassin [RESOLVED]

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Nick Gilbert wrote:

>>>Surely they should both give exactly the same result?
>>>

>>Maybe.. Depends a LOT on the options you pass to spamd when you start it.
>>

>Yes you're right - there's an error in the scripts on Bill Shupps
>shupp.org site which I used to make my box - it was calling spamd with
>-L for some reason. I expect someone turned it on for debugging and
>forgot to remove it again.

Well, some people do prefer to run it that way... You get some
substantial speed benefits by doing so, but your accuracy suffers.

Re: Difference in scores between spamc and spamassassin [RESOLVED]

Posted by Nick Gilbert <ni...@nickgilbert.com>.

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net>.
At 06:26 PM 5/9/2005, Nick Gilbert wrote:
>         RCVD_IN_SORBS_DUL,URIBL_OB_SURBL,URIBL_SBL autolearn=unavailable
>         version=3.0.3
>
>but:
>
>spamc < spam.txt
>
>gives:

>         autolearn=no version=3.0.3
>
>Surely they should both give exactly the same result?

Maybe.. Depends a LOT on the options you pass to spamd when you start it.

In particular, it looks like spamassassin used network checks, but
spamc/spamd did not.

Any chance you started spamd with the -L parameter? (which forcibly
disables all network checks)

Also, what user did you do this as? Root? If so, spamd would have setuid'ed
itself to nobody before scaning the mail, and would have used a different
AWL database.

Re: Difference in scores between spamc and spamassassin

Posted by Craig McLean <cr...@craig.dnsalias.com>.