Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com> on 2013/07/12 23:34:41 UTC

History of the contrib dirs in the accumulo project?

I was testing the pig storage handler and was curious how it would ever get
released in an apache release.  (Either its own, or as part of the core
project?).

It took me a little while to find the code for ACCUMULO-142 -- it was
marked fix version 1.5.0 so expected to see it in the contrib subdir of
trunk and 1.5.

I'm trying to figure out what factors you all are concerned with when
relegating code to contrib or actually including it in a core release.   I
found and agree with the ownership discussion in ACCUMULO-548 around large
examples like the wikisearch example.

I wasn't able to find the rationale for the pig plugin.

Jon.

--
// Jonathan Hsieh (shay)
// Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: History of the contrib dirs in the accumulo project?

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
I've been operating under the assumption that code that enables
interoperability with other projects (especially if they create
requirements for additional dependencies that aren't necessary for the
operation of Accumulo, but also if they increase the build time
significantly but only be expected to benefit a small subset of users)
go in contrib.

I don't know if that's the consensus or reasonable to assume, but
that's where my thinking is at.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii