Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Salikh Zakirov <Sa...@Intel.com> on 2006/11/03 13:23:11 UTC

[drlvm][x86_64] BBP is broken on Linux/x86_64

Hi,

DRLVM on Linux/x86_64 has been broken for quite some time,
since commit [r467997] HARMONY-1942, back-branch polling TLS offset is incorrect.

Several people noticed this and came up with solutions:
HARMONY-2017 Linux em64t build failed due to typeInt32 is undefined in Ia32BBPolling.cpp
HARMONY-2040 fix compilation and disable bbp on linux/x86_64

HARMONY-2017 has a patch with a solution to the problem,
while HARMONY-2040 provides only a workaround.

I suggest to commit HARMONY-2017 and close HARMONY-2040 as duplicate.

Could some committer take care of this issue?
Gregory?

Re: [drlvm][x86_64] BBP is broken on Linux/x86_64

Posted by Salikh Zakirov <Sa...@Intel.com>.
Gregory Shimansky wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>> You should be able to just put them in, ensure they don't break x86,
>> and let the people w/ _64 systems to check
>
> This is a good idea. I promise to install everything correctly and check
> 64-bit patches in native environment, but today I'll follow Geir's advice.
>
> Also I don't like the idea of downgrading classlib instead of fixing the
> problem with its build.

I think you misunderstood me, I did not suggest to downgrade classlib.
My point is that the patch from HARMONY-2017 *really* fixes BBP problem in DRLVM,
and I've verified it, though with less-than-up-to-date classlib.

Re: [drlvm][x86_64] BBP is broken on Linux/x86_64

Posted by Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
You should be able to just put them in, ensure they don't break x86, and
let the people w/ _64 systems to check

geir

Posted by Salikh Zakirov <Sa...@Intel.com>.
Gregory Shimansky wrote:
> I've closed HARMONY-2040 and is going to work on HARMONY-2017 now. It
> may take a while to set up everything correctly on x86_64.

Thanks, Gregory!

A side note: I wasn't able to compile latest classlib on em64t. (compilation errors in swing java code)
I used somewhat old version (whatever happened to be already built in my workspace)

    [r452910] Quick hack until we sort out the awt architecture variables.

with x86_64 libraries available from HARMONY-1676.

Re: [drlvm][x86_64] BBP is broken on Linux/x86_64

Posted by Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com>.