Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/09 20:18:55 UTC

[DISCUSS] ODF file formats vs Zip

When working with big files, in my case spreadsheets, but possibly
other types of office files, saving the file will in some cases take a
lot of time. This is particularly annoying when auto-saving is
enabled. As I understand it, an ODF is a couple of files, most of them
XML files, brought together in a single file, then compressed to the
zip format.

Does the ODF standard specify the compression ratio? If not, it would
be convenient if the user could specify that. For example, if I prefer
saving to be as fast as possible, I could specify no compression at
all, just bring the files together in a tar-ball (if that's allowed)
or as an uncompressed zip.

I don't know how much of the required time to save a file is used for
compression, but I imagine that there is room for speed enhancements
here.

If this is not the way to go, maybe the extension could change as
well, indicating this is another file format, although conversion to
and from ODF should be very straight forward…

Thoughts about this?

Personally I just thing that something must be done about the auto-save speed.

And also, when opening a spreadsheet, ”adapting row heights”, what is
that? Is that really necessary? Shouldn't row heights already be
specified in the ODF file? It's maybe not the same subject, but in a
way it is about time consuming saving and opening of different kinds
of ODF files…

Johnny Rosenberg

Re: [DISCUSS] ODF file formats vs Zip

Posted by Oliver Brinzing <Ol...@gmx.de>.
Have you seen  http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Performance?

There are several issues about performance

Regards

Oliver

GnuPG key 0xCFD04A45: 8822 057F 4956 46D3 352C 1A06 4E2C AB40 CFD0 4A45

Re: [DISCUSS] ODF file formats vs Zip

Posted by Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com>.
2013/6/10 Richard Detwiler <RL...@aol.com>:
> Girvin R. Herr wrote:

>> Probably like you, I find the few seconds it takes to save the file
>> irritating sometimes, especially since only about one keystroke is saved
>> while it is going on. Worse, it seems destined (designed?) to pick a time
>> that is the most irritating to me - just as I start something, rarely when I
>> am just looking at what I have written and/or thinking about something.
>> Better, would be to have the save go on in the background, while one
>> continues working. If that is too dangerous, take a snapshot into a
>> temporary file and save that - all in the background. One should not even be
>> aware that a save is going on in the background. If it really bothers you,
>> you can turn the autosave off in the Tools->Options dialog. I also check the
>> "Always create backup file" (.bak) in the same dialog. This acts much like
>> the old editors and word processors - saving the original before any editing
>> takes place. The downside is the risk of losing a whole day's work, and the
>> restore after LO crash function.
>> Girvin Herr
>>

> I always have auto-save off for those reasons, and instead I'm in the habit
> of very frequently saving the file (which takes about half a second using
> Ctrl+S (on Windows, may be different on other operating systems).

I think the time will be more dependent on the contents of your
document and the speed of your hardware. When I say several seconds, I
am talking about a spreadsheet with thousands of rows and maybe 20-30
columns and 5-10 sheets (not all of them that populated, though). Of
course, when working with a smaller document, saving time is not an
issue at all.

Posted by Dale Erwin <da...@casaerwin.org>.
At my age, I can't be trusted to remember to save it with enough
frequency to be beneficial, so I'd rather "suffer" the few moments'
delay rather than lose several hours of work which has happened to me in
other apps that don't have such a feature.

Dale Erwin
Jr. 28 de Julio 657, Depto. 03
Magdalena del Mar, Lima 17 PERU
http://leather.casaerwin.org

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.
Le 23/06/2013 18:14, Dennis E. Hamilton a écrit :
> Well, the Saved copy doesn't preserve Undo history, and Hagar is correct: Performing Save does not clear the Undo history for the document that remains open.  Whether an AutoSave recovery will recover the Undo history to that point is something that can be verified by an experiment of some kind.
No, AutoSave does not recover the undo history.

> I also realize that I don't know if AutoSave is completely separate from the document recovery material used after crashes and other situations or that's what AutoSave is updating.  More experimentation!  Helpful documentation?
AutoSave is only used in case of crash for the recovery process.

Hagar

RE: [DISCUSS] ODF file formats vs Zip

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Well, the Saved copy doesn't preserve Undo history, and Hagar is correct: Performing Save does not clear the Undo history for the document that remains open.  Whether an AutoSave recovery will recover the Undo history to that point is something that can be verified by an experiment of some kind.

I also realize that I don't know if AutoSave is completely separate from the document recovery material used after crashes and other situations or that's what AutoSave is updating.  More experimentation!  Helpful documentation?

 - Dennis

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 19:22 23/06/2013 -0500, Dale Erwin wrote:
>I do know, however, that no matter how many times the file has been
>autosaved, if I close the document without an explicit save, it will
>revert back to the same state it was in before it was opened.

Good.  If this were not so, surely no-one would dream of using the product?

Brian Barker

Re: [Save and Undo]

Posted by Dale Erwin <da...@casaerwin.org>.
I haven't actually tested this explicitly yet, but I certainly will do
so very soon.  I just never thought it would be possible so I never
tried it.  I do know, however, that no many how many times the file has

Re: [Save and Undo]

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.

Posted by Dale Erwin <da...@casaerwin.org>.

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.
Of course, if you close your document without saving, it will leave your document in the state you last saved it manually.
AutoSave is only used in case of crash. Some users think that it's feature that make regular backups, actually saving the file for future use, which is not true. Perhaps the name should be changed to "Crash info"? Too negative perhaps.

Hagar

Posted by Dale Erwin <da...@casaerwin.org>.

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.

Posted by Dave Barton <db...@tasit.net>.

Posted by Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com>.
2013/6/10 Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>:
> To reduce the save time, split the files into many, and have links between
> files. This Feature should be available in AOO. Then your saving time will
> be much faster. In case of file corruption due to any reason, only that
> file get corrupted and the remaining file may remain safe

It would probably help some, but I would still end up with at least
one giant file which holds all the main data of thousands of rows
(increasing all the time) and maybe 10-20 columns.
Still, finding a way to make saving faster wouldn't kill someone, would it?

It seems like every time someone suggest an improvement, or at least a
change, there are numerous arguments why this shouldn't be done, no
matter what it is. Maybe ”development” doesn't mean the same thing to
everyone.

So well, let's just forget about all this and continue our lives.
Sorry for annoying everyone.

Johnny Rosenberg

Posted by Dale Erwin <da...@casaerwin.org>.
It does.  I use it for all my books even tough the tutorial discourages it.

Posted by Maciej Jaros <ma...@mol.com.pl>.

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard Detwiler <RL...@aol.com>.

Posted by "Girvin R. Herr" <gi...@sbcglobal.net>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 12:22 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<de...@acm.org> wrote:
> Looking into a document having images with WinZip, it appears that GIF and PNG files are not compressed and SVM files are (with great improvement).  The content.xml files, which can be megabytes long, benefit greatly from compression (9:1 easily).
>
> Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 and older versions of OpenOffice.org will compress the Thumbnail PNG.  Not sure why, but it is a small file so it shouldn't matter in terms of Save performance.

If you really want to try a monster test case, try the spreadsheets
from this old ZDNet article from 2005:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/ou/performance-analysis-of-openoffice-and-ms-office/120

They are in pre-ODF XML formats, but can easily be converted.  Try it
as DOC and as ODS.

The files themselves look quite reasonable, due to the ZIP
compression.  But then try unzipping the file.   You'll see the
content.xml is much, much larger.

The problem we have with large ODF spreadsheets is our cell-by-cell
table markup is very verbose.  We also lack a "string-pool" structure
in the markup to deal with repeated strings, which are common in
database-like uses of a spreadsheet.

Regards,

-Rob

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.
On 10/06/2013 10:44 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 4:01 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <de...@acm.org> wrote:
>> Regina is correct about the only two compressions.  As far as I know, there is no way to control which compression is used.  (If you save with Password, all files are always compressed.)  Most of the time DEFLATE is used (although there are two files that are not usually compressed, apparently to make metadata mining simpler for non-encrypted packages).
>>
>> There is currently no way to control the compression in AOO.  (The ODF specification simply stipulates the compression that must be used when compression is done, not whether compression is done for parts of unencrypted packages.)
>>
> Does anyone know whether AOO is smart enough to not waste time trying
> to compress already compressed files, like PNG images?  This could
> make a big difference in presentations.
>
> -Rob
Could anyone explain why it is necessary to compress Autorecovery
information. it is only used to recover when the system crashes.
In my opinion it should only compress when a user close the document.

Posted by Oliver Brinzing <Ol...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

> AFAIK Images are not compressed; i stumbled over this with the added SVG format which is still added
> uncompressed (we have a task for it). HTH!

i prefer *linking* pictures instead of saving them every time - and especially for bigger writer
documents, use the "Working with Master Documents and Subdocuments" feature.

Regards

Oliver

Re: [DISCUSS] ODF file formats vs Zip

Posted by Armin Le Grand <Ar...@me.com>.
     Hi Rob,

On 10.06.2013 14:44, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 4:01 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <de...@acm.org> wrote:
>> Regina is correct about the only two compressions.  As far as I know, there is no way to control which compression is used.  (If you save with Password, all files are always compressed.)  Most of the time DEFLATE is used (although there are two files that are not usually compressed, apparently to make metadata mining simpler for non-encrypted packages).
>>
>> There is currently no way to control the compression in AOO.  (The ODF specification simply stipulates the compression that must be used when compression is done, not whether compression is done for parts of unencrypted packages.)
>>
> Does anyone know whether AOO is smart enough to not waste time trying
> to compress already compressed files, like PNG images?  This could
> make a big difference in presentations.

AFAIK Images are not compressed; i stumbled over this with the added SVG
format which is still added uncompressed (we have a task for it). HTH!

Sincerely,
     Armin

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.