Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Doug Herbert <Do...@tsb.co.nz> on 1999/08/27 04:40:02 UTC

Re: mod_jserv/4908: Apache is adding bytes to large servlet responses,( > 500 bytes )

The following reply was made to PR mod_jserv/4908; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Doug Herbert" <Do...@tsb.co.nz>
To: "Marc Slemko" <ma...@znep.com>
Cc: <ap...@hyperreal.org>
Subject: Re: mod_jserv/4908: Apache is adding bytes to large servlet responses,( > 500 bytes )
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 14:31:45 +1200

 Thanks for your quick response.

 Yes, you were right on the mark with your comment and it has helped me
  heaps ! )  to make some long overdue progress on this problem.

 The client is actually a Java applet, which opens an URL connection to a
 servlet. ( I actually use a https:// connection, which gives me an encrypted
 path )

 After reading up on the transfer-coding value "chunked" and trying
  unsuccessfully ) to get the remote client to ask for a 1.0 request ( as per
 your suggestion )  - I still couldn't get rid of this chunked encoding.
 There seems to be very little documentation on handling this encoding scheme
 through java applets ( perhaps I could spend some time on this ?? )

 Anyway, I then proceeded to include a 'Content-Length' header field, in my
 servlet response. This removed the 'Transfer-Encoding' field from Apache's
 response back to the client , though I am not totally confident why this
 happened.

 The main thing though, things are back working again !!  I think from
 reading the rfc's , you can have either a content-length or
 transfer-encoding field, but not both. This must have something to do with
 generating  dynamic HTML.

 This 'bug' has been in my servlet code all this time, and I do not know why
 upgrading to the latter versions of Apache ( 1.3.9 from 1.3.4 ) and JServ
  1.0 from 0.9.11 ) has caused this to surface. The only thing I can put my
 finger on , is the frame sizes seem to be smaller, ie around 512 bytes of
 data per frame.

 Where the trace from my old configuration, saw frames of around 1500 bytes
 being returned to the remote client, as opposed to 3 frames with the newer
 versions ???

 Thanks again

 Doug.