Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Kishore Sasidharan <ki...@cognizant.com> on 2006/03/29 09:06:22 UTC

repository setup

Hi

I have just started using Subversion.  I have setup a server and have a
repository. Currently I create all projects in the same repository as
trunk/projectA, trunk/ProjectB folders. I understand that I can also
create different repositories for each project . Can anyone tell me
which is the right approach and how is it advantageous.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks and Regards
Kishore S

Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email or any action taken in reliance on this e-mail is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful.

  Visit us at http://www.cognizant.com

RE: repository setup

Posted by Madan U S <ma...@collab.net>.
On Wednesday 29 Mar 2006 2:36 pm, Kishore Sasidharan wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have just started using Subversion.  I have setup a server and have a
> repository. Currently I create all projects in the same repository as
> trunk/projectA, trunk/ProjectB folders. I understand that I can also
> create different repositories for each project . Can anyone tell me
> which is the right approach and how is it advantageous.

The *right* approach is what works for you. However, whats recommended is that
you use the following tree structure for each project...

project
   trunk
   tags
   branches

               You can refer to this in the svn book at red-bean.com.

How is it advantageous over having multiple projects in the same repos?
Reasons that come to the top of mind right away....(these apply for *any*
version control system)
- *all* subversion commands work faster on a smaller code base
- Permissioning becomes simpler
- easier administration (backup, branching and merging operations)
- People in project wont receive post-commit mails from checkins into the
other projects (while at that, another very obvious one is that revision
numbers are shared between both projects, which isnt nice either)

   On the other hand, am not able to think of even one reason for the other
method (having one repos with all project code in it). can you?

Regards,
Madan.