Posted to user@flink.apache.org by "Sofer, Tovi " <to...@citi.com> on 2018/07/16 12:17:08 UTC

event time and late events - documentation

Hi group,
Can someone please elaborate on the comment at the end of section "Debugging Windows & Event Time"?
Didn't understand it meaning.
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-master/monitoring/debugging_event_time.html
"Handling Event Time Stragglers
Approach 1: Watermark stays late (indicated completeness), windows fire early
Approach 2: Watermark heuristic with maximum lateness, windows accept late data"

Thanks,
Tovi

Re: event time and late events - documentation

Posted by vino yang <ya...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tovi,

1. approach 1 : change the watermark let it means the later time, window
trigger early.
2. approach 2 : do not change the watermark, but specify the allow lateness
for the window[1][2], this way can make window accept late element and
re-fire the window after watermark.

[1]:
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-master/dev/event_time.html#late-elements
[2]: