Posted to dev@celix.apache.org by Roy Lenferink <le...@gmail.com> on 2019/09/22 14:38:01 UTC

Moving Celix issue management to GitHub

Everyone,

Since Apache now grants write access to GitHub repos I think
it's time to drop Jira as issue tracker and move our issue management
to GitHub issues.

GitHub issues supports:
- Labels, which we can use to determine the type of an issue (e.g.
a 'bug' or 'enhancement')
- Milestones, which we can use to connect issues and PRs to releases.
- Attachments, it goes without a saying that this is still a feature we want
to use. E.g. to attach a log file or a screen shot to an issue.
- Project boards to show the state of an issue (e.g. 'In Progress').

All the GitHub repos are configured so notifications about new issues,
comments, etc. (including edits) are emailed to our mailing list so full
audit
history is still preserved.

I think this will help a lot with user friendliness and reduce the barrier
to contribution (a contributor only needs a GitHub account to respond
to issues and/or create PRs).

If there are no objections to that, next steps will include:

1. Opening an INFRA ticket to enable GitHub issues for our GitHub
repositories

2. Updating all the references to Jira on our website and documentation.
This includes documenting the new GitHub flow for contributors and
committers

3. Making the Jira project read-only, creating GitHub issues for open Jira
issues
and direct people to our GitHub repo and contribution docs.

Best regards,
Roy

Re: Moving Celix issue management to GitHub

Posted by Pepijn Noltes <pe...@gmail.com>.
Hi Roy,

On Sat, Sep 28, 2019 at 7:46 PM Roy Lenferink <le...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is finished now. For all open jira issues matching GitHub issues have
> been created which we can use for further development. Probably not all
> issues are valid anymore but that's something we still need to have a look
> at.
> The milestone page [1] lists the tasks we still need to do for release
> 2.2.0.
>
> Apologies a bit for all the traffic on the mailing list (and therefore
> everyone's mailbox) but that was just the initial transfer of the issues.
>
> [1]: https://github.com/apache/celix/milestone/1

Thanks for picking this up. I did notice the a slight increase in
incoming mails ... ;)

> Op wo 25 sep. 2019 om 19:07 schreef Roy Lenferink <le...@gmail.com>:
>
> > Issue created: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-19153
> >
> > Op zo 22 sep. 2019 om 21:12 schreef Pepijn Noltes <pepijnnoltes@gmail.com
> > >:
> >
> >> Hi All,

> >> want

> >> barrier

> >> Jira
> >>
> >> I agree with moving the issue management too GitHub. The approach (3
> >> steps) also looks fine to me.

Greetings,
Pepijn

Re: Moving Celix issue management to GitHub

Posted by Roy Lenferink <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roy Lenferink <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pepijn Noltes <pe...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,