Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Mark J Cox <ma...@awe.com> on 1999/09/16 17:01:44 UTC

September 1999 Netcraft Web Server Survey

         The September 1999 Netcraft Web Server Survey is out;

- Top placed developers with numbers of hosts responding and percentage share -

Developer                                     September 1999 Percent  Change
Apache                                          4078326     55.33     -0.17
Microsoft                                       1632440     22.15      0.15
Netscape                                         557498      7.56      0.05

- Top placed servers with numbers of hosts responding and percentage share -

Server                                        September 1999 Percent   Change
Apache                                          4078326     55.33     -0.17
Microsoft-IIS                                   1627651     22.08      0.15
Netscape-Enterprise                              457716      6.21      0.10
CnG                                              183276      2.49      0.06
Rapidsite                                        134622      1.83      0.12
thttpd                                           123487      1.68      0.03
Zeus                                              92974      1.26     -0.02
WebSitePro                                        90169      1.22     -0.05
Stronghold                                        78340      1.06     -0.11
WebSTAR                                           63595      0.86     -0.02

Around the Web

   This month's web server share figures are little changed on last
   month, with all of the 10 leading servers changing by less than 0.2%,
   on growth of around 300,000 sites (4.1%) over last month.

   This gives us an opportunity to take the lid off some of Netcraft's
   commercial Internet research. One of the comments sometimes made of
   the Web Server Survey is that it is unweighted and that small,
   infrequently accessed sites hosted on shared computers count as much
   as commercially important sites.

   Some time ago ZDNet published an [1]article arguing that our [2]SSL
   Survey was a better indicator for server technology use at commercial
   sites on the web, as each site in the SSL survey has gone to the
   trouble of setting up an SSL Server and buying a third party
   certificate from a well known Certificate Authority such as [3]Thawte
   or [4]Verisign.

        August 1999 Internet third party certified SSL Server Share

                     Microsoft  36%
                     Apache     25%
		     c2.net     13%
		     Netscape   13%

It is interesting to compare the two surveys. Taking third-party certified
sites worldwide, server share amongst the major server manufacturers is
indeed very different. c2.net's Stronghold, Netscape and Microsoft all fare
considerably better in the SSL Server Survey. Reasons for this are partly
historical, partly technical, partly cultural and partly legal.

As the original developers of SSL, Netscape held an implicit advantage in
the early days, and started with the whole of the SSL universe. By making
SSL non-proprietary and creating a Web standard, Netscape allowed SSL to
thrive, but at the cost of, over time, allowing other web server suppliers
to take substantial chunks of the secure server marketplace.

Microsoft entered the market late, but established itself quite quickly,
notably aided by Microsoft SiteServer Commerce Edition which has established
itself as a very popular component of ecommerce systems.

Apache, by far the most popular server in the Web Server Survey, had a slow
start as a vehicle for encrypted transactions on the internet and was
hampered by two major factors.

     * legal issues in the USA, where the commercial use of the
       underlying encryption algorithms in SSL without a licence violates
       RSA Data Security patents, meant that most users of Apache as an
       SSL server in that country risked patent litigation from RSA.
       c2.net, and subsequently Red Hat, have capitalised on this by
       releasing Apache based servers for which RSA licences have been
       obtained.

     * Verisign, the dominant internet Certificate Authority, refused to
       issue certificates to sites using the Apache server until May
       1998, as they felt uneasy about issuing certificates to sites
       using source code products. Use of Apache for SSL has noticeably
       increased since this decision was reversed.

Nonetheless, a major difference between the results of the two surveys is
that the great majority of conventional web sites are controlled by hosting
companies, where the decisions of relatively small number of people with
similar requirements and objectives control the server technology used by
millions of sites. SSL sites are typically controlled directly by their
owners, with more varied requirements and expertise levels, and so the
technology topology for encrypted transactions is more diverse.

    Server Switching; US Army moves to a Mac ...

Over the last week, [5]www.army.mil has been the most frequently queried
site on our server query [6]form. The reason has been the highly publicised
decision by the US Army, made plain on the [7]front page of their site, to
ditch NT in favour of "a more secure platform", in the light of a successful
attack on the site earlier in the year. Some have claimed this as a major
propaganda coup for Apple, while others have pointed out that Apple itself
prefers to run [8]www.apple.com on a Solaris/Netscape-Enterprise platform,
and that NT is still the overwhelmingly most common platform amongst the
[9]army.mil public web sites.

    ... and The Queen runs Red Hat

Another switch, surprisingly not yet picked up by the popular media, has
been at the [10]British Royal Family's site which switched from Solaris to
Red Hat Linux around September 6th. It would be a very neat branding
achievement for Red Hat, and the Linux community generally, if they were
able to add the "By Royal Appointment" endorsement to their operating
system.

References

  1. http://www.zdnet.com/products/stories/reviews/0,4161,402117-2,00.html
  2. http://www.netcraft.com/ssl/
  3. http://www.thawte.com/
  4. http://www.verisign.com/
  5. http://www.netcraft.com/whats/?host=www.army.mil
  6. http://www.netcraft.com/whats/
  7. http://www.army.mil/
  8. http://www.netcraft.com/whats/?host=www.apple.com
  9. http://www.netcraft.com/?restriction=site+contains&host=army.mil&position=limited
  10. http://www.netcraft.com/whats/?host=www.royal.gov.uk

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - SSL Server Survey - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A commercial SSL server survey is also available from Netcraft,
price pounds 1200 for a monthly updated analysis reflecting the
topology of encrypted transactions electronic commerce on the internet.
Details and sample pageset available at http://www.netcraft.com/ssl/

- - - - - - - - Commercial Internet Research from Netcraft  - - - - - - - - -

Netcraft also does commercial internet research projects. These include
custom cuts on the Web Server Survey data, virtual hosting industry analysis,
corporate use of internet technology and bespoke projects. All of the data
is gathered through network exploration, not teleresearch.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - this list - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

To unsubscribe from the Netcraft Web Server Survey Announcements list
send the message

unsubscribe webserver-survey

to majordomo@netcraft.com
To resubscribe send the message

subscribe webserver-survey

Mike
--
Mike Prettejohn
mhp@@netcraft.com  Phone +44 1225 447500  Fax +44 1225 448600

Re: September 1999 Netcraft Web Server Survey

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Mark J Cox wrote:
>     ... and The Queen runs Red Hat
>
> Another switch, surprisingly not yet picked up by the popular media, has
> been at the [10]British Royal Family's site which switched from Solaris to
> Red Hat Linux around September 6th. It would be a very neat branding
> achievement for Red Hat, and the Linux community generally, if they were
> able to add the "By Royal Appointment" endorsement to their operating
> system.

Ho hum. But Apache will get it two years earlier :-) (and for those who
missed it the last two times around, no, neither we nor Red Hat will get
it any time soon).

Cheers,

Ben.

--