Posted to dev@mrql.apache.org by Leonidas Fegaras <fe...@cse.uta.edu> on 2015/04/16 18:56:34 UTC

Re: My MRQL talk at ApacheCon15

Hi all,
My MRQL talk at ApacheCon was well-attended (about 40 people). There
were many questions after the talk and, later, after the session. One
said that we should focus on the language description and let the other
projects provide their own implementation of the language. His concern
was that MRQL developers cannot have a full grasp of all capabilities of
all these platforms, so they will not do as a good job as the developers
of the platforms. I explained to him that, since we do not have a large
community, it would work better for us if we provide a prototype
implementation for various platforms and then let the developers of the
platforms refine and optimize them. Also, I talked with Fabian from
Flink about the possibility of adding Flink Streaming to MRQL. It seems
that Flink Streaming is still work in progress.  I finally met with Lee
Moon Soo. His talk on Zeppelin was very interesting. He doesn't use MRQL
any more but he is working on supporting Flink (Spark already has it's
own data visualization system). There was a lot of interest in Spark.
There is even a full-day dedicated to Spark today, which I couldn't
attend. Many developers believe that Spark is replacing map-reduce. I
think this is great but I am very puzzled. Spark is based on high-order
functional programming and most developers are unfamiliar with
functional programming or even Scala. I think they are just impressed
with Spark performance, but then again there are alternatives (eg,
Flink) that are faster. I also had a discussion with Marvin (the IPMC
chair). It was very nice of him to approach me and ask me about the
project. I explained to him the problem that prevents us from graduating
to TLP, namely community growth, especially developers. He said that not
all projects are expected to have as big community as Spark, etc; there
are small projects too and IPMC supports them too. He said that the best
way to recruit developers is to spread the word about MRQL, so that
people will use it, companies will adopt it, users will request changes,
then they will submit patches, and become contributors, then developers.
This takes a lot of time for some projects. He said some projects, such
as Mesos & Aurora (there was a talk earlier about this), had no releases
and no new developers for about a year, but eventually they increased
their adoption and community, and graduated. I asked him about
monitoring downloads & web site hits. It seems that we cannot count
downloads but we can monitor web site traffic using google web site
analytics. I will look into it. In summary, this was a very interesting
conference: many interesting talks (some about project
incubation/graduation which are helpful to us), and a chance to meet and
talk with other developers.
Leonidas

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.
Hey Leonidas,

nice write up of your conference experience.

Regarding tracking of downloads: Apache's maven repository allows you to
get some statistics on your artifacts in maven central.
In Google Analytics, you can define named events. We have those on the
various download buttons on the Flink website. This allows us to understand
how many people are clicking these buttons, and also which ones.

One more thing regarding project growth: I haven't found a MRQL twitter
account. I would recommend creating one, because its an easy way to follow
a new project. If you're totally not interested in maintaining a twitter
account, I would also do it for the project.

Flink streaming is work in progress, but it has been in 3 flink releases
now, so its kind of established.

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.
Cool!

--
Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon

Re: My MRQL talk at ApacheCon15

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.
Hi,

> He doesn't use MRQL any more but he is working on supporting Flink

Does it mean that zeppelin won't support MRQL?

--
Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon