Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net> on 2010/07/29 08:15:13 UTC

Ofbiz Business Basic.

not to water down the Drool initiative this is something I have pondered
on..
if you are familiar with Excel or Spreadsheet they have a programming
interface for their macro code.
the interface includes a function list you can select functions to add
to your macro.
The Artifact(webtools) lends it self to the idea of that concept.
Html allows selection of from a list similar to Excel, spreadsheet.
I selected "BASIC"since that is what business men are use to.
If you present to a business man, some thing like Shark, BIRT, Drool
they will not use it, but get someone in their organization to do it.
Some even freak at Basic.

So how can ofbiz beat the competition. Make the interface the way a
business man uses tools today.

some years back I was commissioned to write an interface to excel that
handled Data Warehouse information and make a Cross tab presentation in
excel. Then provide Templates for different Departments.

I see that same possibility in Ofbiz and programing a openoffice
spreadsheet from Ofbiz.  the Business man wold, in ofbiz build his
application then it would be exported to openoffice like we build pdf
now. the business person would still be hooked up to live data through
the ofbiz to openoffice interface.

The Data model of ofbiz has Budgeting and Budget Scenario that can also
be leverage this way.

I like the design of Drool but think we need to go one step higher and
see this as how to run a business.

=========================
BJ Freeman  <http://bjfreeman.elance.com>
Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man

Re: Ofbiz Business Basic.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
you are correct that service is stateless.
however the ECA would be the equivalent of a Fact
where a SE#CA would be equivalent of an event based on process and fact.
this these though are3 not present to the business user but crated by
the code they write.
so a statement like:

rule name reccalorderTotal
begin
when an order has a item added recalculate the total price.
end

this wold create and ECA on orderitem entity that would call a service
to calc all the orderitmes and put the sum in the orderheader entity.

another rule:

rule name checkNewperson
begin
When a New Person is added, check for the address and phone number.
end
this would Create and SECA on createpersion Service that contact mech
for type address and type phone number were filled in for the partyy
with type person.

when a new rule is written all the rules that effect that rule will be
shown so the business person could see the progressing of the rules.

that was whatI meant by learaging the Artifact code in webtools which
list all the artifacts thar effec an enity, service, widget or controller.

if a rule became a process
Rule name SendOrderEmailToCustomer
begin

end

this would create the equivalent minilanq code and a SECA based on the
condition specified in the rule.

the objective is to make the business Basic so the business man can sit
down and start in just a few hours to write these with minimum
instruction and no developer.

The building of the code is done by selecting drop downs like for a
service (process) or field (fact) and inputting the actual fact they are
wanting to use.

Marek Mosiewicz sent the following on 7/30/2010 12:50 AM:

> [...]
> for rule are true. That means that facts can be fired incrementally when
> new facts appear. But it also means that you have to supply facts.
> Drools does not opperate on data model but on facts.
> Each statement (e.g. OrderLine) must be inserted into so called working
> memory as a fact. In example blow the only facts are entities (fact that
> they exists), but in more advanced scenario fact can be that some field
> changed. That would make possible to
> fire some expensive rules only when given field change, but it makes
> rules definitions more complicated. It would need braimstorming,
> probably with appropriate people in field what is better: RETE rule
> engine(aka drools) or functional reactive programming (FRP)
> (something like this http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/1918 or this
> http://www.flapjax-lang.org/tutorial/ ). Functional reactive programming
> seems to be more declarative way of things for me.
> .
>> At a business level would like to follow that macro type of
>> formulation but expose ofbiz services like the Artifacts (webtools)
> OfBiz services are stateless. What I think is possible is (optional)
> stateful services. I think it is possible to have "live" documents. For
> example when we create order we do not go with services to database, but
> operate only in memory. Drools or FRP would recalculate document on
> change of facts. What is good is that you can have temporary facts (e.g.
> line X is discount for line Y). Facts can also retract (be removed) when
> condition is no longer valid, so discount line probably could be removed
> if condition for it is no longer valid.
> Live documets would have folowing advantages:
> no problems with temporary documents between saves
> much imporved scalabilty (go to database only when save whole document)
> possiblity to have one logic to serve UI and for batch/webservices mode ?
>
>> At this point I am aiming this for business person that has little or
>> no programming knowlege.
> Curent DSL for Drools would genereate some noise, I think. There is a
> lot of tricks. One I said before, that you must order rules manualy.
> Another thing is you have to divide logic into agenda groups (In case
> below one agenda group caulcates item and another order summary). Yet
> another thing is that you have to say that fact was modified with
> modify() statement.
>> I will use you supplied example to show how the Business Macros will
>> work.
> You are welcome.
>> Marek Mosiewicz sent the following on 7/29/2010 7:10 AM:

>>> I made some attempts with Drools as engine for future (probably open
>>> source) ERP. But it not like excel. You can write calculation rules but
>>> Drools would not order them automatically based on dependencies. (e.g.
>>> calc line total before sum of order). But in many ways it is very
>>> powerful tool.
>>>

>>> There are example rules for simple Order (I could send whole project):

>>> import com.sample.OrderItem
>>> import com.sample.OrderTaxLine;
>>> import com.sample.OrderTaxSummary;
>>> import com.sample.OrderDiscount;
>>> import com.sample.Product;
>>> import com.sample.Tax;
>>> import com.sample.TaxCalculator;
>>> import com.sample.Discount;
>>> import com.sample.DiscountCalculator;
>>>
>>> dialect "java"
>>>
>>> function Tax calcTax(int customerId,int productId) {
>>> return TaxCalculator.calculateTax(customerId,productId);
>>> }
>>>
>>> rule "order item price"
>>> dialect "mvel"
>>> agenda-group "Items"
>>> lock-on-active true
>>> salience 9
>>> when
>>> $item : OrderItem();
>>> then
>>> modify($item){
>>> setPrice($item.product.price);
>>> }
>>> end
>>>
>>> rule "order item amountNetto"
>>> dialect "mvel"
>>> lock-on-active true
>>> agenda-group "Items"
>>> salience 8
>>> when
>>> $item : OrderItem();
>>> then
>>> modify($item){
>>> setAmountNetto($item.price * $item.quantity);
>>> }
>>> end
>>>
>>> rule "order item tax"
>>> dialect "mvel"
>>> lock-on-active true
>>> agenda-group "Items"
>>> salience 7
>>> when
>>> $item : OrderItem();
>>> then
>>> modify($item){
>>> setTaxes(calcTax($item.order.partyDelivery.partyId.intValue(),$item.product.productId.intValue()));
>>>

>>> }
>>> end
>>>
>>> rule "order item amountTax"
>>> dialect "mvel"
>>> lock-on-active true
>>> agenda-group "Items"
>>> salience 6
>>> when
>>> $item : OrderItem();
>>> then
>>> modify($item){
>>> setAmountTax($item.tax.rateTax * $item.amountNetto);
>>> }
>>> end
>>>
>>> rule "order item amountBrutto"
>>> dialect "mvel"
>>> lock-on-active true
>>> agenda-group "Items"
>>> salience 5
>>> when
>>> $item : OrderItem();
>>> then
>>> modify($item){
>>> setAmountBrutto($item.amountNetto + $item.amountTax);
>>> }
>>> end
>>>
>>> rule "Switch to Order"
>>> dialect "mvel"
>>> lock-on-active true
>>> agenda-group "Items"
>>> salience -100000
>>> when
>>> $item : OrderItem();
>>> then
>>> drools.setFocus("Order");

Re: Ofbiz Business Basic.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
I a sorry I have not explained myself well.
I have assumed you have seen how VBA of excel works.
however make work in the current environment of ofbiz.
the Business user will not know about minilang, ECA, SECA, and Services
as ofbiz implements them but will have a free flow language that they
can talk in a comfortable terms.
I have a rough proof of concept I will try to put on my demo server
shortly that will show more what I am talking about.

Marek Mosiewicz sent the following on 8/2/2010 1:10 AM:

Re: Ofbiz Business Basic.

Posted by Marek Mosiewicz <ma...@jotel.com.pl>.

Re: Ofbiz Business Basic.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Re: Ofbiz Business Basic.

Posted by Marek Mosiewicz <ma...@jotel.com.pl>.

Re: Ofbiz Business Basic.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
Chris that was my first impression of Guvnor as I skimmed it.
but as with Drool I see the integration into the ofbiz model as well as
the conversion of the None HTML screens to widgets to be a lot of work.
I all for taking parts of Drool.

I will present a vocabulary soon for Business Basic. I plan to follow
the minilangquage for basis, but not in XML format.
My reasoning it there is code for the minilanquage for guts of the
compiler, just the syntax has to be done.

chris snow sent the following on 7/29/2010 6:14 AM:

Re: Ofbiz Business Basic.

Posted by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: Ofbiz Business Basic.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
so how would that integrate with the ofbiz data model?

chsnow123@gmail.com sent the following on 7/29/2010 4:09 AM:
> BJ - take a look at Guvnor to see a more business end user oriented
> environment for drools.
>
> On Jul 29, 2010 7:15am, BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net> wrote:
>> not to water down the Drool initiative this is something I have
>> pondered on..
>
>> if you are familiar with Excel or Spreadsheet they have a programming
>> interface for their macro code.
>
>> the interface includes a function list you can select functions to add
>> to your macro.
>
>> The Artifact(webtools) lends it self to the idea of that concept.
>
>> Html allows selection of from a list similar to Excel, spreadsheet.
>
>> I selected "BASIC"since that is what business men are use to.
>
>> If you present to a business man, some thing like Shark, BIRT, Drool
>> they will not use it, but get someone in their organization to do it.
>
>> Some even freak at Basic.
>

>> So how can ofbiz beat the competition. Make the interface the way a
>> business man uses tools today.
>

>> some years back I was commissioned to write an interface to excel that
>> handled Data Warehouse information and make a Cross tab presentation
>> in excel. Then provide Templates for different Departments.
>

>> I see that same possibility in Ofbiz and programing a openoffice
>> spreadsheet from Ofbiz. the Business man wold, in ofbiz build his
>> application then it would be exported to openoffice like we build pdf
>> now. the business person would still be hooked up to live data through
>> the ofbiz to openoffice interface.
>

>> The Data model of ofbiz has Budgeting and Budget Scenario that can
>> also be leverage this way.
>

>> I like the design of Drool but think we need to go one step higher and
>> see this as how to run a business.

>> BJ Freeman http://bjfreeman.elance.com>
>
>> Strategic Power Office with Supplier Automation
>> http://www.businessesnetwork.com/automation/viewforum.php?f=52>
>
>> Specialtymarket.com http://www.specialtymarket.com/>
>
>> Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist
>

>> Chat Y! messenger: bjfr33man