Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by icewing <ic...@163.com> on 2020/05/28 13:45:29 UTC

[commons-statistics] Dev suggestions needed

Hi all!

I'm a data analyst working with Java, so I need some libraries for math, especially statistics. I came across the Apache Commons Math library and found that you're working with a new sub-library of statistics.

I want to make some contribution. I've roughly went through the current commons-math4 and commons-statistics-parent branch. It seems that you've already ported the distribution sub-package from commons.math4.stat, but the other sub-packages, such as descriptive and regression, their porting seems more challenging, as described in ML and jira issues.

From which package do you suggest should I start for the remaining porting, or you think I should post a more specific proposal?

I appreciate your help very much.

Best,
Tao

Re: [commons-statistics] Dev suggestions needed

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hello.

> Hi all!
>

> I'm a data analyst working with Java, so I need some libraries for math,
> especially statistics. I came across the Apache Commons Math library and
> found that you're working with a new sub-library of statistics.
>

> I want to make some contribution. I've roughly went through the current
> commons-math4 and commons-statistics-parent branch. It seems that you've
> already ported the distribution sub-package from commons.math4.stat, but the
> other sub-packages, such as descriptive and regression, their porting seems
> more challenging, as described in ML and jira issues.
>

> From which package do you suggest should I start for the remaining porting,

IIRC, one concrete conclusion from the last discussion on this topic
(during last year's GSoC) was that the "descriptive" package would
be the easiest to port.
The next one would be "regression", but this involves the issue of
which linear algebra utilities to depend on, and how (that was not
settled IIRC).

Hoping to get confirmation from others.

> or you think I should post a more specific proposal?

A novel viewpoint might give new ideas... ;-)

> I appreciate your help very much.

Thanks for your offer!

Best regards,
Gilles