Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Marcus Schießer <ma...@web.de> on 2004/01/12 00:00:35 UTC

merlin cooperation

hi folks,

i wrote a versatile container for software components that could be
embedded in different frameworks. i am using this right now as a
container for web components (container embedded in a servlet engine).
i am looking for a project to merge my effort with, probably merlin fits
in.
for more information consult the web site under:
<http://www.unc.de/webzap.html> www.unc.de/webzap.html. please keep in
mind, that webzap is not the container itself, but is using the
container (needs to be extracted from that project). there is also a
paper available which explains the technology of the container.

i read a bit about merlin. here are some differences i have seen
compared to my container: (the structure is the following: merlin - my
container)

components lifecycle - container event to components

usage of services seems to be hardcoded in java in a component -
services are accessed in the pages file

good seperation in different xml files - one type of xml files,
arranging the components in pages

components need to implement lifecycle dependend interfaces - describe
components to container (usage of reflection): idea here seperate it
from page file

connection of components in java - connection via function approach
(this concept is a key advantage i think, altough merlin is much more
mature)

and don't know if the projects could gain from each other, as they seem
to be very different, but maybe someone has a good idea...

don't hesitate to contact me for any comments. any help is appreciated,
really ;)

have fun,

marcus schiesser