Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org> on 2014/06/18 09:11:34 UTC

[POLL] Who uses "awsapi" with CloudStack in production?

Hi,

Who uses "awsapi" or any other EC2 compatible interface such as ec2stack
with CloudStack (or CloudStack distros such as Citrix CloudPlatform) in
production? And, if marketing and publicity are/were big motivation(s)?

In case you don't want to discuss on this thread, please take this
anonymous poll:
http://www.polljunkie.com/poll/fbyfdc/who-uses-awsapi-with-cloudstack-in-prouduction

# Some stats

I've been watching Collab14 videos and found references where many speakers
reference overall CloudStack codebase to be about 1.5M (million) lines of
Java code which is not "exactly" true. Let me share some findings;

- As of today, CloudStack master is about 1.7M lines of Java code [1]
- CloudStack "awsapi" artifact is 1.04M lines of Java code [2]
- Code excluding "awsapi", tests and license/comment is about 590k lines of
Java code [3]
- The core excluding plugins, api and the above is about 300k lines of Java
code [4]

Why should  I care:
- some useful/fun stats to keep in mind
- it's not a giant mammoth that cannot be fixed or developed upon
- encouraging for new developers that if they try they can understand and
fix it

FYI, this started on twitter yesterday:
https://twitter.com/_bhaisaab/status/479007075414974465

[1] cd cloudstack-repo && find . | grep java$ | xargs cat | wc -l
[2] cd cloudstack-repo && find awsapi | grep java$ | xargs cat | wc -l
[3] cd cloudstack-repo && find . | grep -v awsapi | grep -v [tT]est | grep
java$ | xargs cat | grep -v '^//' | wc -l
[4] cd cloudstack-repo && find . | grep -v awsapi | grep -v [Tt]est | grep
-v plugins | grep -v api | grep java$ | xargs cat | grep -v '^//' | wc -l

Regards.

Re: [POLL] Who uses "awsapi" with CloudStack in production?

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 12:22 AM, Carlos Reategui <ca...@reategui.com>
wrote:

> I can do that.
>
> My current install is from the repo http://cloudstack.apt-get.eu/ubuntu.
>  Do you know if that is built with -Dnoredist? I would like to make sure I
> build and package the same way.

Wido maintains it and only hosts released versions of CloudStack and AFAIK
we don't have an active nightlies debian build repo for users.

That means, you'll have to build from source which is not very hard to do
(you may even automate it):

1. Download the 4.4 branch zipball:
    https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/archive/4.4.zip

2. Follow this:

http://cloudstack-installation.readthedocs.org/en/latest/building_from_source.html#prerequisites-for-building-apache-cloudstack

If you're stuck or have any issues reach out to the community, we're good
people :)

@Wido: Hey! Can you start the nightlies again so users don't have to do
debian builds themselves?

Regards.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carlos Reategui <ca...@reategui.com>.
I can do that.

Posted by Carlos Reategui <ca...@reategui.com>.
I can do that.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
I am saying you should export your db and run a test upgrade against it
using the 4.4 branch so we can make sure it works correctly by the time we
release.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carlos Reátegui <cr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Daan,

Posted by Carlos Reátegui <cr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Daan,

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

--
Daan

Re: [POLL] Who uses "awsapi" with CloudStack in production?

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

--
Daan

Re: [POLL] Who uses "awsapi" with CloudStack in production?

Posted by Carlos Reátegui <cr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rohit,

Posted by Carlos Reátegui <cr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rohit,