Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Sharan-F <sh...@gmail.com> on 2016/06/06 10:46:13 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Mentoring to Share Knowledge and Improve Code

Hi All

One of the things that came up in the Committers Survey was related to
mentoring. I asked the question whether it would be a good idea if newer
Committers were mentored by a more experienced one and  63% of the
Committers surveyed agreed it would be.

I think that this could be something that could be worth exploring as we
have Committers with a lot of experience and knowledge that could be good
mentors to others. Mentoring could be something as simple as being available
to answer questions or to give advice about how to approach something, but
the main thing is that there is someone to ask informally.

For example, I'm sure that Jacques has probably lost count of the amount of
times I approached him offline for help with all kinds of things :-), and
every response has really helped.

What do people think?  (And more importantly is anyone willing to be a
mentor?)

Thanks
Sharan

Re: [DISCUSSION] Mentoring to Share Knowledge and Improve Code

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sharan,

I would gladly help anyone interested in pitching in and helping us. So
sign me in.

The big question: how to collaborate. It needs to be either voice or some
kind of instant chat to provide quick and efficient feedback. This is, of
course, in addition to all the traditional tools (JIRA, ML, Wiki). We also
need a little area (Wiki?) to coordinate team efforts, list links and
Github repos if we use them. Etc ...

Taher Alkhateeb

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
I was against initially, worried about too much activity there, but people seems wise enough to use it rightly: +1

Jacques

Le 06/06/2016 � 17:00, Ron Wheeler a �crit :

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
The current open Skype channels are a good place for quick mentoring
activities.

If the question turns from a personal request for information to a
design question or a discussion about bug fixes or enhancement, then
relevant comments should be copied to the ML or a JIRA.
The Skype channel does keep a long term history so it is easy to go back
to early comments and retrieve them.

Ron

On 06/06/2016 9:56 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
> I like Sharan's proposal and I am willing to help. Even if most question
> can and should be posted to the dev list (so that others can benefit from
> the communication exchange) by experience I have learned that sometimes new
> contributors/committers are worried to ask questions in the public...
> having a direct way to communicate with a senior committer (either by mail,
> chat or phone) may help in these cases.
>
> Jacopo
>
> On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 12:46 PM, Sharan-F <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>>
>> One of the things that came up in the Committers Survey was related to
>> mentoring. I asked the question whether it would be a good idea if newer
>> Committers were mentored by a more experienced one and  63% of the
>> Committers surveyed agreed it would be.
>>
>> I think that this could be something that could be worth exploring as we
>> have Committers with a lot of experience and knowledge that could be good
>> mentors to others. Mentoring could be something as simple as being
>> available
>> to answer questions or to give advice about how to approach something, but
>> the main thing is that there is someone to ask informally.
>>
>> For example, I'm sure that Jacques has probably lost count of the amount of
>> times I approached him offline for help with all kinds of things :-), and
>> every response has really helped.
>>
>> What do people think?  (And more importantly is anyone willing to be a
>> mentor?)
>>
>> Thanks
>> Sharan
>>

>> --

Ron Wheeler
President
Artifact Software Inc
email: rwheeler@artifact-software.com
skype: ronaldmwheeler
phone: 866-970-2435, ext 102

Re: [DISCUSSION] Mentoring to Share Knowledge and Improve Code

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.

Posted by Anil Patel <an...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
Sharan,
I like your idea of actively engaging with other committer in the community. I am willing to be part of this effort.

Thanks and Regards
Anil Patel
COO
Hotwax Systems