Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by root <ro...@www1.isosystems.net> on 2000/08/03 16:46:50 UTC

strange embperl behavior

I've been using Embperl wonderfully on a FreeBSD/Apache 1.2.6 platform in
CGI mode...I've installed it on our server here at work which is RH
6.1/Apache 1.3.12/mod_perl and am having some strange behavior...

Try this page:
http://www.secure-encrypted.net/bowenwhite/orders/index.ehtml

It might not do it to you, but when I first try to pull up this page, I
*sometimes* get an error on the $ssi->include's, and sometimes the
DBIx::Recordset will complain that I haven't specified a DSN, etc...if I
hit "reload" a couple times, it usually goes away...

It's like it's reusing some of the embperl page, but not everything...
I had the CGI::SSI->new in a separate .pm and just "use"ed that,
but that had the same effect...has anyone who's running embperl in
mod_perl noticed this??  how do I force embperl to
reset/reload/reinitialize *all* my variables for *every* request???

Jon Brisbin

Re: strange embperl behavior

Posted by ___cliff rayman___ <cl...@genwax.com>.
root wrote:

> I've been using Embperl wonderfully on a FreeBSD/Apache 1.2.6 platform in
> CGI mode...I've installed it on our server here at work which is RH
> 6.1/Apache 1.3.12/mod_perl and am having some strange behavior...
>
> Try this page:
> http://www.secure-encrypted.net/bowenwhite/orders/index.ehtml

invalid url

> It might not do it to you, but when I first try to pull up this page, I
> *sometimes* get an error on the $ssi->include's, and sometimes the
> DBIx::Recordset will complain that I haven't specified a DSN, etc...if I
> hit "reload" a couple times, it usually goes away...
>
> It's like it's reusing some of the embperl page, but not everything...
> I had the CGI::SSI->new in a separate .pm and just "use"ed that,
> but that had the same effect...has anyone who's running embperl in
> mod_perl noticed this??  how do I force embperl to
> reset/reload/reinitialize *all* my variables for *every* request???

http://perl.apache.org/embperl/Embperl.pod.6.html#_CLEANUP

hth,

--
___cliff rayman___cliff@genwax.com___http://www.genwax.com/

Re: strange embperl behavior

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.
> > > Try this page:
> > > http://www.secure-encrypted.net/bowenwhite/orders/index.ehtml
> > >

> > 404 NOT_FOUND
>
> I was messing with the config after I sent that, so that link works
now...I
> think I've fixed the problem though...

Yes, but it get's an internal server error. Something with your db is wrong:

[747]ERR: 32: Line 46: Warning in Perl code: DBD::mysql::st execute failed:
Can't find file: './bowen/orders.frm' (errno: 13) at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/DBIx/Compat.pm line 65, <STDIN> chunk 5.

ok, I guess it's due to the fact that you are working on it...

> I can't get it to reproduce what it was doing yesterday, but in the
> afternoon the machine was getting quite a few hits (I think apache had ~20
> processes going and JServ was running ~12)...would this affect embperl's
> behavior??

No

If you still have the trouble, could you send us the source code of the page
(if it's not too long)

Gerald

E-Mail:     richter@ecos.de         Voice:    +49 6133 925151

Re: strange embperl behavior

Posted by Jon Brisbin <br...@ipa.net>.
> > I've been using Embperl wonderfully on a FreeBSD/Apache 1.2.6 platform
in
> > CGI mode...I've installed it on our server here at work which is RH
> > 6.1/Apache 1.3.12/mod_perl and am having some strange behavior...
> >
> > Try this page:
> > http://www.secure-encrypted.net/bowenwhite/orders/index.ehtml
> >

> 404 NOT_FOUND

I was messing with the config after I sent that, so that link works now...I
think I've fixed the problem though...

> > It might not do it to you, but when I first try to pull up this page, I
> > *sometimes* get an error on the $ssi->include's, and sometimes the
> > DBIx::Recordset will complain that I haven't specified a DSN, etc...if I
> > hit "reload" a couple times, it usually goes away...
> >

> Yout don't metion your mod_perl version, but as far as I know RedHat has
> mod_perl compiled as DSO and version is < 1.22. That's the problem. What
you
> describe is due to the problems with dynamic loading of XS code and occurs
> in DSO mod_perl < 1.22.

A little correction here...my development machine here at home is an Apache
1.3.12/mod_perl 1.24 machine...the one at work is Apache 1.3.9/mod_perl 1.24
machine...I always statically compile everything...no DSO's at all :-)

I never noticed the funkiness until I put it up on the live machine...it
worked as expected on my development machine...

www.jbrisbin.net
mail@jbrisbin.net

Re: strange embperl behavior

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

> I've been using Embperl wonderfully on a FreeBSD/Apache 1.2.6 platform in
> CGI mode...I've installed it on our server here at work which is RH
> 6.1/Apache 1.3.12/mod_perl and am having some strange behavior...
>
> Try this page:
> http://www.secure-encrypted.net/bowenwhite/orders/index.ehtml

404 NOT_FOUND

> It might not do it to you, but when I first try to pull up this page, I
> *sometimes* get an error on the $ssi->include's, and sometimes the
> DBIx::Recordset will complain that I haven't specified a DSN, etc...if I
> hit "reload" a couple times, it usually goes away...

Yout don't metion your mod_perl version, but as far as I know RedHat has
mod_perl compiled as DSO and version is < 1.22. That's the problem. What you
describe is due to the problems with dynamic loading of XS code and occurs
in DSO mod_perl < 1.22.

So either compile mod_perl staticly into Apache or upgrade mod_perl to a
version >= 1.22.