Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Ralf S. Engelschall" <rs...@engelschall.com> on 1999/02/02 08:16:06 UTC

Re: [Fwd: [dav-announce] Release: mod_dav 0.9.6-1.3.4]

In article <36...@lyra.org> you wrote:

>[...]
>> but it needs Expat and GDBM, i.e. two
>> external packages. This makes it a little bit balky to be easily compile-able
>> inside the source tree. So, I see two reasonable possibilies:
>>
>> 1. Let it integrate seamlessly into the source tree:
>>    - move from GDBM to plain NDBM or at least support
>>      NDBM in addition to GDBM as a fallback.

> I think there was an issue with NDBM, but I can reexamine. The 0.9.7
> release will include SDBM (a public domain DBM). SDBM is also shipped by
> Perl, so it should be capable enough. SDBM will become the default
> linkage -- GDBM cannot be the default because it is GPL (not even
> LGPL!).

Oh SDBM is fine for me. I use it as the fallback DBM library for mod_ssl, too.
Works fine. You can have a look at the ssl_util_sdbm.[ch] I use in mod_ssl
when you want.

>>    - strip down Expat to a libexpat which can be included it into the source
>>      tree (e.g. under src/expat/). That's reasonable because other modules
>>      then can use this nice XML parser library, too. Let the compilation of
>>      this library triggered by a "Rule EXPAT=yes". Expat is under the MPL I
>>      think, right?

> Expat is MPL, but has recently picked up an option for electing to use
> the GPL instead. The MPL 1.0 is "undesirable" for Apache, and GPL is
> incompatible. Once MPL 2.0 comes out, then it may be okay to package
> with Apache.

Yes, either MPL 2.0 or LGPL. GPL doesn't work AFAIK, too.

>[...]
>>    - let mod_dav reside inside src/modules/dav/ and let the
>>      libdav.module force the EXPAT rule and determine the
>>      DBM library as other modules do.
>>    This way mod_dav has only the DBM library requirement and for most of the
>>    platforms this means nothing special.  So, mod_dav is less bulky to build.

> Okay. I'll look into how this is done by the other modules. Thanks for
> the pointers!

A good pointer is again mod_ssl: Look at it's libssl.module
file, it does all sort of such things.

>[...]
> Cut/paste. Some other module had that line, or I read it in a doc
> somewhere. I'll torch it. Thanx.
> [ looks like I also have a bunch of reading up (code and/or doc) to do
> on the .module files :-) ]

Yeah, for really comprehensive ones look at mod_perl's
libperl.module and mod_ssl's libssl.module.

> Quick question: with all this fancy rule stuff going on, will this
> effectively mean that APXS will no longer be usuable for mod_dav?

No, why? APXS has nothing to do with this. APXS is a tool for building
_outside_ the source tree where no Apache source tree configuration things are
present.  But, I know what you mean: How can APXS use the libdav.module,
right? Again: Look inside my mod_ssl distribution's "configure" script. It
emulates the Apache source tree environment for the libssl.module script. This
way I can configure my src/modules/ssl/Makefile with libssl.module both inside
and outside the source tree.
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com