Posted to dev@metron.apache.org by Ali Nazemian <al...@gmail.com> on 2018/05/08 06:29:23 UTC

Streaming Machine Learning use case

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone has used Metron with any streaming ML framework
such as SAMOA? I know that Metron provides Machine Learning separately via
MAAS. However, it is hard to manage it from operational perspective
especially if we want to have a pretty dynamic and evolving model. SAMOA
seems to be a very slow project (or maybe even dead). However, it looks
very close from the integration point of view with Metron, so I wanted to
see if anyone had tried SAMOA in practice and especially with Metron use
cases.

Regards,
Ali

Re: Streaming Machine Learning use case

Posted by Ali Nazemian <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi Simon,

That's correct. Apache SAMOA. Not any specific algorithm at this stage.
Just the idea of being able to use streaming supervised learning without
being worried of training cycle is interesting to me. The fact that it is
closed to Metron from technology perspective made me wonder to see if
anyone uses that.

Cheers,
Ali

Posted by Simon Elliston Ball <si...@simonellistonball.com>.
Do you mean Apache SAMOA? I'm not sure of the status of that project, and
it doesn't look particularly lively (last real activity on the lists was 2
months ago, last commits, 7 months ago).

That said, there seem to be some interesting algorithms implemented in
there. The VHT algorithm and the clustering may be relevant, though we have
other efficient means of streaming clustering already in Metron. I would
also argue that we'd be better off looking at algorithms in Spark for
things like frequent pattern mining, though there the FP growth algorithm
is of course primarily a batch implementation.

Are there any SAMOA algorithms in particular that you think would be
relevant to Metron use cases?

Simon

On 8 May 2018 at 07:29, Ali Nazemian <al...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering if someone has used Metron with any streaming ML framework
> such as SAMOA? I know that Metron provides Machine Learning separately via
> MAAS. However, it is hard to manage it from operational perspective
> especially if we want to have a pretty dynamic and evolving model. SAMOA
> seems to be a very slow project (or maybe even dead). However, it looks
> very close from the integration point of view with Metron, so I wanted to
> see if anyone had tried SAMOA in practice and especially with Metron use
> cases.
>
> Regards,
> Ali

simon elliston ball