Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Thess Bermudez <th...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/25 07:57:32 UTC

Newbie Question - Topic: Accessing Tomcat Manager

Hi,

This may sound very simple. This is surely a newbie question.

I have installed Tomcat and accessed localhost:8080 and showed that
installation was successful. I am exploring on the Tomcat Manager but the
username and password that was defined for manager-gui role is not
accepted. Is there another step that I may have missed?

Thank you for your attention,

Thess

Re: Newbie Question - Topic: Accessing Tomcat Manager

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This may sound very simple. This is surely a newbie question.
>>
>> I have installed Tomcat and accessed localhost:8080 and showed that
>> installation was successful. I am exploring on the Tomcat Manager but the
>> username and password that was defined for manager-gui role is not
>> accepted. Is there another step that I may have missed?
>>
>> Thank you for your attention,
>

> 1. Tomcat reads tomcat-users.xml only once - at startup. Have you
> restarted it after making the changes?
>
> 2. Check that the file is correct XML.

2.1 : check that the corresponding section is not surrounded by <!-- ... -->
    (in other words : that it is not an XML comment)

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.

> This may sound very simple. This is surely a newbie question.
>
> I have installed Tomcat and accessed localhost:8080 and showed that
> installation was successful. I am exploring on the Tomcat Manager but the
> username and password that was defined for manager-gui role is not
> accepted. Is there another step that I may have missed?
>
> Thank you for your attention,

1. Tomcat reads tomcat-users.xml only once - at startup. Have you
restarted it after making the changes?

2. Check that the file is correct XML.

3. Read Tomcat log files for any unexpected messages.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko