Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Andrei Mikhailovsky <an...@arhont.com> on 2014/12/01 11:32:51 UTC

CloudMonkey 5.3 not starting on Ubuntu 14.10

Hi guys,

I am having issues starting cloudmonkey on ubuntu 14.10. I get the following error:

$ cloudmonkey
Import error in cloudmonkey.cloudmonkey : No module named packages

I have tried to google for the error, but can't find the solution.

I've installed it via pip install cloudmonkey.

Could some one point me in the right direction please?

Thanks

Andrei

[NOTICE] CloudMonkey 5.3 not starting on Ubuntu 14.10

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Andrei,

Thanks for bringing this to our notice. With Ubuntu 14.04/14.10, the
default pip has some issues. To install CloudMonkey or any package
dependent on "requests" users simply need to upgrade pip to make it work:

1. Uninstall the default pip:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge python-pip

2. Download and install latest pip from
https://pip.pypa.io/en/latest/installing.html#install-pip

I faced this issue too and the above worked for me. After doing the
above, retry/reinstall cloudmonkey it should work.

On Monday 01 December 2014 04:02 PM, Andrei Mikhailovsky wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I am having issues starting cloudmonkey on ubuntu 14.10. I get the following error:
>
> $ cloudmonkey
> Import error in cloudmonkey.cloudmonkey : No module named packages
>
> I have tried to google for the error, but can't find the solution.
>
> I've installed it via pip install cloudmonkey.
>
> Could some one point me in the right direction please?
>
> Thanks
>
> Andrei

This is the bug reference from Launchpad:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/python-pip/+bug/1306991

If you've any issues, let me know.

Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue
M. +41 779015219 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

Re: CloudMonkey 5.3 not starting on Ubuntu 14.10

Posted by Erik Weber <te...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 11:53 AM, Erik Weber <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 11:50 AM, sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Dec 1, 2014, at 11:44 AM, Erik Weber <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I have the same on CentOS 6.6, cloudmonkey installed with pip
>> >

>> Have you tried with virtualenv ?
>> Are you upgrading ?
>>

> Nope, all I've tried is: pip install cloudmonkey
>
> This was a fresh machine, so no upgrade. Stock CentOS 6.6.
>
> After doing yum remove python-pip, and installing pip as per the docs
> Rohit sent, and then doing: pip install --force-reinstall -U cloudmonkey, i
> now get:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>
>   File "/usr/bin/cloudmonkey", line 5, in <module>
>
>     from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
>
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 2655, in
> <module>
>
>     working_set.require(__requires__)
>
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 648, in
> require
>
>     needed = self.resolve(parse_requirements(requirements))
>
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 546, in
> resolve
>
>     raise DistributionNotFound(req)
> pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: requests

I managed to get cloudmonkey running by doing:

$ sudo easy_install --upgrade requests
$ sudo easy_install --upgrade pygments

I have no idea why pip couldn't fix it.

--
Erik

Re: CloudMonkey 5.3 not starting on Ubuntu 14.10

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Erik,

You’re missing the point, the email I sent for today is only for Ubuntu 14.04/14.10 users.

Please find my reply in-line;

> On 01-Dec-2014, at 4:23 pm, Erik Weber <te...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Nope, all I've tried is: pip install cloudmonkey
>
> This was a fresh machine, so no upgrade. Stock CentOS 6.6.
>
> After doing yum remove python-pip, and installing pip as per the docs Rohit
> sent, and then doing: pip install --force-reinstall -U cloudmonkey, i now
> get:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>
>  File "/usr/bin/cloudmonkey", line 5, in <module>
>
>    from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
>
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 2655, in
> <module>
>
>    working_set.require(__requires__)
>
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 648, in
> require
>
>    needed = self.resolve(parse_requirements(requirements))
>
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 546, in
> resolve
>
>    raise DistributionNotFound(req)
> pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: requests

On CentOS based, install python-setuptools and pip or python-pip.

Try this:
pip install requests
pip install --upgrade cloudmonkey

This works for me on Fedora.

Regards,
M. +91 88 262 30892 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com

Posted by Erik Weber <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrei Mikhailovsky <an...@arhont.com>.
Rohit,

I've tried your suggestion and that didn't work for me. Had the same error message.

However, I can confirm that running Erik's suggestion fixed my problem.

Andrei

--
Andrei Mikhailovsky
Director

Web: http://www.arhont.com
http://www.wi-foo.com
Tel: +44 (0)870 4431337
Fax: +44 (0)208 429 3111
PGP: Key ID - 0x2B3438DE
PGP: Server - keyserver.pgp.com

DISCLAIMER

The information contained in this email is intended only for the use of the person(s) to whom it is addressed and may be confidential or contain legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any perusal, use, distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please immediately advise us by return email at andrei@arhont.com and delete and purge the email and any attachments without making a copy.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Andrei,

Posted by Andrei Mikhailovsky <an...@arhont.com>.
Erik,