Posted to community@apache.org by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com> on 2003/12/01 17:49:05 UTC

Re: establish a trust relationship (Re: missing signatures)

Re: establish a trust relationship (Re: missing signatures)

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.
El lunes, 1 dici, 2003, a las 18:10 Europe/Madrid, Lars Eilebrecht
escribió:

> According to Santiago Gala:
>
>> For those able to receive/send SMS (text messages), they can be used
>> send or receive key fingerprints, in a very effective and safe back
>> channel for identity validation.
>
> Err, I wouldn't call SMS (or GSM) a 'safe' communication media.

Sorry, I tend to be imprecise. 'Safe' here was meant in the sense of
identity cross reference, i.e. resilient to impersonation. (In my
example, fingerprints are public info, so no confidentiality is
actually needed)

The idea it that if a person is using a phone number that appears in
telephone directories as Santiago's to answer a challenge (send me your
key fingerprint by SMS...) in a timely manner, it reinforces trust in
this person identity as Santiago when taken in addition to email.

Not in crypto terms. I tend to be imprecise, sorry.

> [...]
>> I'm beginning to sign all my mails, since security is becoming a key
>> issue for all Open Source, and signing of communications/releases
>> seems
>> to be crucial.
>
> BTW, you may want to cross-sign your two PGP keys. The one you
> used to sign your message is not the one you gave to people at
> ApacheCon for signing.

They are cross signed, I forgot to upload the signed version. Thanks
for the reminder.

Regards,
     Santiago

Re: establish a trust relationship (Re: missing signatures)

Posted by Lars Eilebrecht <la...@hyperreal.org>.
According to Santiago Gala:

> For those able to receive/send SMS (text messages), they can be used to
> send or receive key fingerprints, in a very effective and safe back
> channel for identity validation.

Err, I wouldn't call SMS (or GSM) a 'safe' communication media.

[...]
> I'm beginning to sign all my mails, since security is becoming a key
> issue for all Open Source, and signing of communications/releases seems
> to be crucial.

BTW, you may want to cross-sign your two PGP keys. The one you
used to sign your message is not the one you gave to people at
ApacheCon for signing.

ciao...
--
Lars Eilebrecht          - Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have
lars@hyperreal.org        - before you fully understand the situation.