Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Arrigo Marchiori <ar...@yahoo.it.INVALID> on 2021/01/02 14:12:47 UTC

Linux virtual machines for release builds

Dear All,

the wiki page "Step by step building guides for different platforms"
[1] mentions:

 - CentOS 5 for AOO 4.1.x
   and lists the commands to prepare a x86_64 VM;

 - CentOS 7 for AOO 4.2.x
   but it also states that "the community builds of AOO 4.2.x and
   later are built on Fedora19" [2].

 - That Ubuntu 18.04 and Debian 9 will be the choice for AOO 4.2 [3].

Can someone please help me understand:

 1- do we build both AOO 4.1.x 64bit and 32bit releases on a x86_64
    VM? Or do we use a 32bit VM for 32bit builds?

 2- on what distro do we actually build AOO 4.2.x on? (both 32bit and
    64 bit)?

 3- is there a fixed short sequence of commands to prepare the VM for
    AOO 4.2.x, such as provided for the CentOS 5 VM [4]?

I would like to make the wiki page a bit more clear (IMHO) with the
information you will give me.

Thank you in advance and best regards.

References

1: https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO/Step_by_step

2: https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO/Step_by_step#Fedora19

3: https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO/Step_by_step#Ubuntu_16.04

4: https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO/Step_by_step#Setup_a_VM
--
Arrigo

http://rigo.altervista.org

Re: Linux virtual machines for release builds

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
Works for me...

Posted by Arrigo Marchiori <ar...@yahoo.it.INVALID>.
Dear All,

FYI:

On Mon, Jan 04, 2021 at 09:20:23PM +0100, Arrigo Marchiori wrote:

[...]

> If we wanted to make different sub-pages, I would just get rid of
> Step_by_step [1] and substitute it with:
>  - Step_by_step_Linux
>  - Step_by_step_macOS
>  - Step_by_step_Windows
>
> Then, if we add lots of Linux distros, they will not bother Windows
> and Mac users.
>
> The new pages would be directly linked by the building guide. I don't
> think it would be useful to keep Step_by_step [1] just as an index of
> the other pages.

Done.

Links:

 - building guide section: https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO#Step-by-Step_Building_Guide_for_Different_Platforms

 - Linux instructions: https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO/Step_by_step_Linux

 - Windows instructions: https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO/Step_by_step_Windows

 - macOS instructions (they were already in a separate page): https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO/Building_on_MacOsX

Best regards,

Posted by Arrigo Marchiori <ar...@yahoo.it.INVALID>.
Dear All,

Posted by Mechtilde <oo...@mechtilde.de>.
For me

+1

Mechtilde

Am 04.01.21 um 21:20 schrieb Arrigo Marchiori:
> Hello Marcus,
>
> On Mon, Jan 04, 2021 at 05:57:56PM +0100, Marcus wrote:

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> I am done with the re-organization.  If there are no heavy criticism
>>> against the current structure, we could add other distributions as
>>> sub-chapters. Ubuntu 16.04 is already there as a draft.
>>
>> yes please, otherwise the page will be longer and longer and ... ;-)
>>
>>> I am open to criticism and/or suggestions on what else to add.
>>
>> Is it possible to start with a general page? Then it can introduce the build
>> system a bit
>
> I second Keith's opinion: this should be the purpose of the building
> guide itself.
>
>> and the instructions for every distribution has its own
>> sub-page.
>> I think this would give a better structure to the whole.
>
> I mentioned "sub-chapters" but I understand you would better like to
> have "sub-pages"? That sounds nice...
>
> If we wanted to make different sub-pages, I would just get rid of
> Step_by_step [1] and substitute it with:
>  - Step_by_step_Linux
>  - Step_by_step_macOS
>  - Step_by_step_Windows
>
> Then, if we add lots of Linux distros, they will not bother Windows
> and Mac users.
>
> The new pages would be directly linked by the building guide. I don't
> think it would be useful to keep Step_by_step [1] just as an index of
> the other pages.
>
> Did I understand your proposal correctly, Marcus?

> 1: https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO/Step_by_step

--
Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice

Re: Linux virtual machines for release builds

Posted by Arrigo Marchiori <ar...@yahoo.it.INVALID>.
Hello Marcus,

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
On 1/4/2021 11:57 AM, Marcus wrote:
> Am 04.01.21 um 16:27 schrieb Arrigo Marchiori:
>> On Mon, Jan 04, 2021 at 04:03:35PM +0100, Arrigo Marchiori wrote:
>>
>>> first of all, thank you to Mechtilde, Carl, and Jim.
>>>
>> [...]
>>>
>>> I am trying to re-organize the page to make the official release
>>> builders clear, and hopefully leaving the appropriate space for
>>> further contributions.
>>>
>>> Link for a quicker click:
>>> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO/Step_by_step
>>>

>> I am done with the re-organization.  If there are no heavy criticism
>> against the current structure, we could add other distributions as
>> sub-chapters. Ubuntu 16.04 is already there as a draft.
>
> yes please, otherwise the page will be longer and longer and ... ;-)
>
>> I am open to criticism and/or suggestions on what else to add.
>
> Is it possible to start with a general page? Then it can introduce the
> build system a bit and the instructions for every distribution has its
> own sub-page.
>
> I think this would give a better structure to the whole.
>
> Marcus
Marcus;

That section is only one of nine sections in the build guide. The
general information about the build process are the first section of the
guide.rigio and I have been discussing certain aspects of that on doc@

regards
Keith

Re: Linux virtual machines for release builds

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Arrigo Marchiori <ar...@yahoo.it.INVALID>.
Hello all,

On Mon, Jan 04, 2021 at 04:03:35PM +0100, Arrigo Marchiori wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> first of all, thank you to Mechtilde, Carl, and Jim.

[...]
> I am trying to re-organize the page to make the official release
> builders clear, and hopefully leaving the appropriate space for
> further contributions.
>
> Link for a quicker click:
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO/Step_by_step

I am done with the re-organization.  If there are no heavy criticism
against the current structure, we could add other distributions as
sub-chapters. Ubuntu 16.04 is already there as a draft.

I am open to criticism and/or suggestions on what else to add.

As I am (also) an openSUSE user, I would add a chapter about it, but
the sources will not compile under x86_64 until PR #111 [1] is merged.
Can I just merge it and go ahead? ;-)

Best regards.

1: https://github.com/apache/openoffice/pull/111

Posted by Arrigo Marchiori <ar...@yahoo.it.INVALID>.
Hello all,

On Sat, Jan 02, 2021 at 11:34:59AM -0500, Carl Marcum wrote:

> Hi Arrigo,
>
> On 1/2/21 9:12 AM, Arrigo Marchiori wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > the wiki page "Step by step building guides for different platforms"
> > [1] mentions:
> >
> >   - CentOS 5 for AOO 4.1.x
> >     and lists the commands to prepare a x86_64 VM;
> >
> >   - CentOS 7 for AOO 4.2.x
> >     but it also states that "the community builds of AOO 4.2.x and
> >     later are built on Fedora19" [2].
> >
> >   - That Ubuntu 18.04 and Debian 9 will be the choice for AOO 4.2 [3].
> >
> > Can someone please help me understand:
> >
> >   1- do we build both AOO 4.1.x 64bit and 32bit releases on a x86_64
> >      VM? Or do we use a 32bit VM for 32bit builds?
> >
> >   2- on what distro do we actually build AOO 4.2.x on? (both 32bit and
> >      64 bit)?
> >
> >   3- is there a fixed short sequence of commands to prepare the VM for
> >      AOO 4.2.x, such as provided for the CentOS 5 VM [4]?
> In this earlier thread [1] I had documented my notes from setups of VM's for
> building 4.2 on CentOS 7 and Ubuntu 18. There maybe some other answers in
> there as well.

Thank you! That thread is very interesting.

Posted by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi Arrigo,

On 1/2/21 9:12 AM, Arrigo Marchiori wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> the wiki page "Step by step building guides for different platforms"
> [1] mentions:
>
>   - CentOS 5 for AOO 4.1.x
>     and lists the commands to prepare a x86_64 VM;
>
>   - CentOS 7 for AOO 4.2.x
>     but it also states that "the community builds of AOO 4.2.x and
>     later are built on Fedora19" [2].
>
>   - That Ubuntu 18.04 and Debian 9 will be the choice for AOO 4.2 [3].
>
> Can someone please help me understand:
>
>   1- do we build both AOO 4.1.x 64bit and 32bit releases on a x86_64
>      VM? Or do we use a 32bit VM for 32bit builds?
>
>   2- on what distro do we actually build AOO 4.2.x on? (both 32bit and
>      64 bit)?
>
>   3- is there a fixed short sequence of commands to prepare the VM for
>      AOO 4.2.x, such as provided for the CentOS 5 VM [4]?
In this earlier thread [1] I had documented my notes from setups of VM's
for building 4.2 on CentOS 7 and Ubuntu 18. There maybe some other
answers in there as well.

I can also give you my list of dependencies for 4.1 if you need them.

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r1f6bf5131f3a6a3dcd5c182140a871422c6fe9ab4ff0ac9b6b2b49e3%40%3Cdev.openoffice.apache.org%3E

Best regards,
Carl

Posted by Mechtilde <oo...@mechtilde.de>.
Hello Arrigo,

Am 02.01.21 um 15:12 schrieb Arrigo Marchiori:
> Dear All,
>
> the wiki page "Step by step building guides for different platforms"
> [1] mentions:
>
>  - CentOS 5 for AOO 4.1.x
>    and lists the commands to prepare a x86_64 VM;
>
>  - CentOS 7 for AOO 4.2.x
>    but it also states that "the community builds of AOO 4.2.x and
>    later are built on Fedora19" [2].
>
>  - That Ubuntu 18.04 and Debian 9 will be the choice for AOO 4.2 [3].
>
> Can someone please help me understand:
>
>  1- do we build both AOO 4.1.x 64bit and 32bit releases on a x86_64
>     VM? Or do we use a 32bit VM for 32bit builds?
>
>  2- on what distro do we actually build AOO 4.2.x on? (both 32bit and
>     64 bit)?
>
>  3- is there a fixed short sequence of commands to prepare the VM for
>     AOO 4.2.x, such as provided for the CentOS 5 VM [4]?
>
> I would like to make the wiki page a bit more clear (IMHO) with the
> information you will give me.
>
> Thank you in advance and best regards.
>
> References
>
> 1: https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO/Step_by_step
>
> 2: https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO/Step_by_step#Fedora19
>
> 3: https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO/Step_by_step#Ubuntu_16.04
>
> 4: https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO/Step_by_step#Setup_a_VM

I do the test builds for the translation prozess and so on at Debian 9
and 4.2.

I try to update to Debian 10 but failed at this time.

I can publish my list of depencies I installed.

Kind regards

Posted by Arrigo Marchiori <ar...@yahoo.it.INVALID>.
Dear All,

On Sat, Jan 02, 2021 at 05:13:49PM -0500, Jim Jagielski wrote:

[...]
> For the 32bit releases we build on CentOS5, 32bit; for the 64bit, we
> use CentOS5 64bit

I tried to reproduce the Centos5 64bit VM today, and I hit a couple of
problems that did not seem to be addressed by the building guide:

 1- OpenSSL is too old to connect to today's https
 servers. Eventually, the bootstrap script would stop on certain
 downloads. I made up a simple procedure to install a newer library
 [1], that I copied'n'pasted from [2].

 2- installation of the Perl module Archive::Zip fails in the test
 phase with obscure errors about garbage before or after the actual
 ZIP data. I changed the build instructions to force its installation
 [3]. I believe that this failure could be due to the ``age'' of
 CentOS 5 as well.

With these changes to the instructions, I could set up a VM, that is
now trying to compile tag 419.

I hope this helps.

Best regards.

 1: https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO/Step_by_step_Linux#Install_OpenSSL

 2: https://miteshshah.github.io/linux/centos/how-to-enable-openssl-1-0-2-a-tlsv1-1-and-tlsv1-2-on-centos-5-and-rhel5/

 3: https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO/Step_by_step_Linux#Install_Perl_modules

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

> On Jan 2, 2021, at 9:12 AM, Arrigo Marchiori <ar...@yahoo.it.INVALID> wrote:
>
> Dear All,
>
> the wiki page "Step by step building guides for different platforms"
> [1] mentions:
>
> - CentOS 5 for AOO 4.1.x
>   and lists the commands to prepare a x86_64 VM;
>
> - CentOS 7 for AOO 4.2.x
>   but it also states that "the community builds of AOO 4.2.x and
>   later are built on Fedora19" [2].
>
> - That Ubuntu 18.04 and Debian 9 will be the choice for AOO 4.2 [3].
>
> Can someone please help me understand:
>
> 1- do we build both AOO 4.1.x 64bit and 32bit releases on a x86_64
>    VM? Or do we use a 32bit VM for 32bit builds?

For the 32bit releases we build on CentOS5, 32bit; for the 64bit, we use CentOS5 64bit

> 2- on what distro do we actually build AOO 4.2.x on? (both 32bit and
>    64 bit)?

The plan is CentOS7 (64bit) for 4.2.x/64bit and Fedora19 (32bit) for the 32 bit version

> 3- is there a fixed short sequence of commands to prepare the VM for
>    AOO 4.2.x, such as provided for the CentOS 5 VM [4]?

I don't use those commands, instead, I have several VMware Fusion VMs.