Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com> on 2011/03/10 14:50:38 UTC

0-10 JIRAs

Hi Justin/All,

I'm wondering what the approach for identifying the content of the 0-10
release from JIRA is ?

I've just been trying to figure out what is actually in 0-10 from JIRA and
its not easy since we have 0-10 items complete adn I think raised during the
release process and a load of open 0-9 items for which we can't tell the
target release.

We should be able to generate release notes from JIRA, so should we update
all items in the 0-10 release to have a fix for version of 0-10 ?

Open items for 0-9 would then move to 0-11 or unscheduled.

Thanks & Regards,
Marnie

Re: 0-10 JIRAs

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
We had a similar discussion when 0.8 went out and the feeling was that
issues completed during the development stream should be left marked as such
because you cant have 2 fix-for versions when resolving a JIRA, and so only
issues that were fixed after branching and updating the version would get
fix-for as the release version.

Last time we released I generated some html release notes with the content
from the 0.7 and 0.8 versions in JIRA and put them on the website. This
allows organising them a little nicer in terms of what gets more prominence,
and means the release email drives traffic to the website rather than JIRA
(which also has a side effect of being faster for the users, since JIRA is
often excruciatingly slow).

Robbie

Re: 0-10 JIRAs

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 03/10/2011 04:56 PM, Marnie McCormack wrote:
> I think we'd need to have a vote thread to redo the versioning approac -
> which is effectively what this implies if I'v eunderstood correctly ?
>
> I don't like the scheme we've got but iirc it was discussed at length and
> voted in.
>
> However, the harder task to do which involves (at least this is how I've
> done it in the past) looking for subversion commits on all open/in-flight
> 0-9 items to figure out what actually made it into the 0-10 release
> (regardless of status on JIRA since it's not a reliable guide for commit).

On the c++ side I believe the status is now a reasonable guide.

Re: 0-10 JIRAs

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.
On Mon, 2011-03-14 at 13:01 -0400, Alan Conway wrote:
> On 03/14/2011 10:09 AM, Justin Ross wrote:
> > Using 0.9 and 0.10 as an example:
> >
> > "0.9" is simply another name for "0.10-dev". Qpid developers know this, so they
> > can resolve a "0.9" bug to the 0.10 release just as easily as they can resolve a
> > "0.10-dev" bug to the 0.10 release.
> >
> > And of course, all release versions would appear in jira.
> >

> On that note, shouldn't the trunk now be considered 0.11, since commits to trunk
> do not go into the 0.10 release unless they are deliberately back-ported?

The trunk *is* already 0.11 (at least that is what it calls itself)

Andrew

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: 0-10 JIRAs

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.

Re: 0-10 JIRAs

Posted by Justin Ross <jr...@redhat.com>.
Using 0.9 and 0.10 as an example:

"0.9" is simply another name for "0.10-dev".  Qpid developers know this,
so they can resolve a "0.9" bug to the 0.10 release just as easily as they
can resolve a "0.10-dev" bug to the 0.10 release.

And of course, all release versions would appear in jira.

Justin

Re: 0-10 JIRAs

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Re: 0-10 JIRAs

Posted by Justin Ross <jr...@redhat.com>.

Re: 0-10 JIRAs

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Re: 0-10 JIRAs

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: 0-10 JIRAs

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Re: 0-10 JIRAs

Posted by Justin Ross <jr...@redhat.com>.

Re: 0-10 JIRAs

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: 0-10 JIRAs

Posted by Justin Ross <jr...@redhat.com>.
On Thu, 10 Mar 2011, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

> Le 10/03/2011 15:47, Justin Ross a écrit :
>
>> I spoke to Andrew Stitcher about the versions in jira. We think it would
>> be simpler overall if jira contained only even-numbered (released)
>> versions. Right now the extra fidelity of having odd- and even-numbered
>> versions mostly causes confusion and adds complexity to our queries.
>
> +1
>
> That would be almost equivalent to dropping the odd/even numbering.
>
> The next step would be to name the development version as <next release
> number>-dev or -snapshot and Qpid would be just like every other project out
> there ;)
>
> Emmanuel Bourg

I'm not particularly for or against the odd/even version numbering.  But
to be fair, it's not an uncommon scheme, and it isn't a source of any
frustration for me.  *shrug*

Justin

Re: 0-10 JIRAs

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.

Re: 0-10 JIRAs

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
No time like the present; just prior to release is probably the easiest time
to do this :)

Re: 0-10 JIRAs

Posted by Justin Ross <jr...@redhat.com>.
On Thu, 10 Mar 2011, Justin Ross wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Mar 2011, Gordon Sim wrote:
>
>> On 03/10/2011 01:50 PM, Marnie McCormack wrote:
>>> Hi Justin/All,
>>>
>>> I'm wondering what the approach for identifying the content of the 0-10
>>> release from JIRA is ?
>>>
>>> I've just been trying to figure out what is actually in 0-10 from JIRA and
>>> its not easy since we have 0-10 items complete adn I think raised during
>>> the
>>> release process and a load of open 0-9 items for which we can't tell the
>>> target release.
>>>
>>> We should be able to generate release notes from JIRA, so should we update
>>> all items in the 0-10 release to have a fix for version of 0-10 ?
>>
>> I marked the JIRAs I fixed for 0.10 as fix-for 0.9 (the 0.10 option was
>> only recently added). So I believe anything that is resolved and has
>> fix-for 0.9[1] can have the fix-for updated to 0-10. Anyone know if there
>> is a way to do this as a bulk update or similar?
>>
>> [1]
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310520&version=12315382
>
> I spoke to Andrew Stitcher about the versions in jira.  We think it would be
> simpler overall if jira contained only even-numbered (released) versions.
> Right now the extra fidelity of having odd- and even-numbered versions mostly
> causes confusion and adds complexity to our queries.

(By the way, I meant the above to be a question about how we do this in
the future, not something needs to change pronto.)

> There is a link at the release page[1] that I am using as the canonical
> "bugs targeted for 0.10" query.  I still need to update it for the
> recent introduction of 0.10.  I'll let you know when I have; it
> shouldn't be long.

I've updated the bug link on the release page:

   http://bit.ly/fkZAta

I'd be interested to get comments about the criteria I'm using at the top.
It doesn't look strictly at fixVersion.  It also pulls in bugs with a
null fixVersion and an affectsVersion of 0.9 or 0.10.

So far, until we decide to do some bulk updating, I've been planning to
include both 0.9 and 0.10 bugs in the "targeted for 0.10" bucket.

Justin

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: 0-10 JIRAs

Posted by Justin Ross <jr...@redhat.com>.