Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by Ja...@rzf.fin-nrw.de on 2008/09/03 07:45:17 UTC

Creating a list of licenses

Ivy resolves dependencies and transitive dependencies.
If my project P depends on A and B and B on C I will get   P --> A, B
--> C  and download A,B and C.
In Java projects these are typically jar-files.

Each of these have a license (Default=unspecified).
Could I get a list of licenses?
    <ivy:createlist todir="build/licenses"/>

    build/licenses: P.license, A-1.0.license, B-4.7.license,
C-3.0.0.alpha.license

(I hope it's clear what I mean ...)

I think it's not possible at the moment as these license information are
not available in a standardized way.
But if I set up a company repository I could store these information.
    //repository/A/1.0 : a.jar  ivy.xml   license.txt

Jan

Re: Creating a list of licenses

Posted by Johannes Stamminger <Jo...@astrium.eads.net>.
Hi!

On Wednesday 03 September 2008, Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de wrote:
> Ivy resolves dependencies and transitive dependencies.
> If my project P depends on A and B and B on C I will get   P --> A, B
> --> C  and download A,B and C.
> In Java projects these are typically jar-files.
>
> Each of these have a license (Default=unspecified).
> Could I get a list of licenses?
>     <ivy:createlist todir="build/licenses"/>
>
>     build/licenses: P.license, A-1.0.license, B-4.7.license,
> C-3.0.0.alpha.license
>
> (I hope it's clear what I mean ...)
>
> I think it's not possible at the moment as these license information are
> not available in a standardized way.
> But if I set up a company repository I could store these information.
>     //repository/A/1.0 : a.jar  ivy.xml   license.txt

We faced same problem and handle the licenses as another artifact in our
company repository: we defined a configuration "deploy" in which each lib
provides it's license (for simplicity stored in rep as <jar name>.license)
with type set to license. In ant build environment we access those with
cachefilesets (for copying to release dir).

Johannes
--
Johannes.Stamminger@Astrium.EADS.net   [2FE783D0 http://wwwkeys.PGP.net]
------ ----<--{(@ ------------------                        EADS ASTRIUM

This email (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information or information otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately, do not copy this message or any attachments and do not use it for any purpose or disclose its content to any person, but delete this message and any attachments from your system. Astrium disclaims any and all liability if this email transmission was virus corrupted, altered or falsified.
Astrium GmbH Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Thomas Mueller - Geschaeftsfuehrung: Evert Dudok (Vorsitzender), Dr. Reinhold Lutz, Pablo Salame Fischer, Guenter Stamerjohanns
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Muenchen - Registergericht: Amtsgericht Muenchen, HRB Nr. 107 647

Weitere Informationen ueber EADS Astrium @ http://www.astrium.eads.net/

AW: Creating a list of licenses

Posted by Ja...@rzf.fin-nrw.de.
Ok: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVY-893

Jan

> Ivy resolves dependencies and transitive dependencies.
> If my project P depends on A and B and B on C I will get   P --> A, B
> --> C  and download A,B and C.
> In Java projects these are typically jar-files.
>
> Each of these have a license (Default=unspecified).
> Could I get a list of licenses?
>    <ivy:createlist todir="build/licenses"/>
>
>    build/licenses: P.license, A-1.0.license, B-4.7.license,
> C-3.0.0.alpha.license
>
> (I hope it's clear what I mean ...)
>
> I think it's not possible at the moment as these license information are
> not available in a standardized way.
> But if I set up a company repository I could store these information.
>    //repository/A/1.0 : a.jar  ivy.xml   license.txt

Ivy already defines a way to define one or multiple licenses in your Ivy
file. The license isn't considered as an artifact, but you can have a URL to
the license:
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-milestone/ivyfile/license.html

The dependency report collects information on the licenses for each
dependency, so doing what you want based on this report is pretty easy. It
would be interesting to make this part of Ivy since it's probably useful for
many. Could you open an issue for that? And maybe we should find a better
name than createlist for the task, sg more specific to license. Why not
<ivy:licenselist todir="build/licenses" /> ?

One thing I realize is that it seems we don't parse this information in
poms, so you won't get license information when you use poms to describe
your modules. I'll fix this.

Xavier

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/