Posted to dev@ws.apache.org by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org> on 2007/07/02 16:38:05 UTC

Re: License for StAX?

On 27/06/07, Lawrence Mandel <lm...@ca.ibm.com> wrote:
> Woden [1] is currently bundling the StAX jar (stax-api-1.0.1.jar) [2] with
> our distribution. I've been reviewing the licenses of Woden's dependencies
> for the Woden incubation status file [3] and can't find the license for
> StAX. The jar doesn't contain a license file and the site states that StAX
> is licensed under Apache ASL 2.1, which I haven't heard of. (Does this
> exist?)
>
> As Woden picked up this dependency from Axiom I think this is a good place
> to ask, does anyone know under what license StAX is distributed and do you
> have a reference that  I can refer to?

StAX (JSR 173) has a BEA license. It's printed at the beginning of the
JSR 173 spec and has a paragraph headed 'license for the distribution
of compliant implementations'. This grants a '... limited license
(without the right to sublicense) ... to create and/or distribute an
implementation of the specification ...'

IANAL so I don't know what license the implementation is allowed to be
in that case.

BTW: there's a StAX implementation in JSE 6 and the
jre/THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.txt file describes StAX (around line 651).
But that doesn't really describe distribution, more what to do if you
want to create a derivative work.

Axis2 includes a license file for the StAX APIs [4] ... don't know how
this was arrived at though.

Think we need to hop onto legal-discuss.

[4] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/axis2/tags/java/v1.2/legal/std/stax-api-LICENSE.txt

> Thanks,
>
> Lawrence
>
> [1] http://incubator.apache.org/woden/
> [2] http://stax.codehaus.org/
> [3] http://incubator.apache.org/projects/woden.html

Cheers,
Jeremy

Re: License for StAX?

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.
The license for StAX API (and RI and for other implementation) is a very
complicated matter - i would recommend checking stax builders mailing
list archives for the latest and the only authoritative source i would
say is to ask BEA.they should be able to clarify it ...

thanks,

Alek